General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advice on refuelling LR4/Disco from Jerry Can with Anti-misfuel device fitted

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on refuelling LR4/Disco from Jerry Can with Anti-misfuel device fitted

Hello all - I am going on a long trip and plan to take 60L extra diesel with me in Jerry cans. I have a spout for the cans that screws on. I have tried putting this spout down the fuel hole and it is slightly too wide to fit all the way down. My question is as follows:

Will I be able to use this as is to refuel, just trickling the 60Ltr in (is the path open?) or do I need to put something like a funnel all the way down....if the latter is the case I want to make sure I dont trigger the misfuel device!!!

Finally where should the reset tool be located for my vehicle?

Thanks very much

Old 06-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by disco5000

Will I be able to use this as is to refuel, just trickling the 60Ltr in (is the path open?) or do I need to put something like a funnel all the way down....if the latter is the case I want to make sure I dont trigger the misfuel device!!!
You are a stong man to dump from a real Jerry can into the tank without spilling diesel fuel all over... Try it before you go, particularly as you seem to be going into some real boondocks where VERY long distances are between fuel stops. Personally I doubt whether more than one 25 Liter contingency fuel is necessary. if you are that far away from civilization I'll carry 2 liter of emergency drinking water for every one liter of extra fuel.

I take it you have a roof-top rack? Leave the can on top and siphon with one of those cheap, very nifty ball-valve refueling pipes. No spillage, perfectly controllable.

A.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Real off-the-beaten-tracks and the vehicle for that.

Is it not ironic that a vehicle with such good off-road ability as a Landrover has such critical off road issues like damage to the fuel receptor - or worse, inability to refuel. Or failure to start. Or to get the gear lever stuck in the park position, etc.

That is why in the wild places of Africa you'll never see a Landrover - the Japanese have perfected (in Africa, in fact) the philosphy for durability and ease of operation - the same reason why Landrover after one attempt never again returned to the Dakar Rally down the Sahara all the way to Cape Town, and why the Mitsubishis won that 13 years in a row - pure durability of all systems, designed for the rough.