General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another stupid radio thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Another stupid radio thread

I hate to do this but I've tried piecing together multiple threads for the info I need and I'm still a little confused. I'm going to list what I'd like to do and maybe some one can dumb it down for me.

I'd like to replace my w crap tape deck with an aftermarket single DIN unit. I have the adapter for the trim gap and the wiring at the radio.

I want to replace the front and rear speakers with the same size quality aftermarket ones.

I also want to remove the rear subwoofers because I'd like to turn the door into storage.

If I can I'd like to reuse the wiring hooked up to the speakers currently if I can.

Do I need to rewire this whole system if I remove the sub/amp? What if I'd like to add a 4 channel amp on the future?

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 11-02-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a couple of suggestions, 1- remove the speaker cover on the back door(not rear hatch), and measure the speaker, you will most likely have to cut out the hole a small amount, so your aftermarket speaker will fit.
2- all your factory speaker wires go to the factory amp, under the driver seat, then to the speakers.(it is a 5-channel amp), if you are going to eliminate the amp, then I would run new speaker wires all around.
I used the factory amp and speakers with aftermarket head unit, and it sounds great. The aftermarket head unit should come with sub output if you want to add sub later.
Should be no problem removing rear hatch subs, but if you keep factory amp, tape off those speaker wires.
If you use factory amp, use the line level outputs on the head unit, not the speaker wires.
The easiest method, is getting the metra harness for the disco, the pac-swi for the steering wheel controls and hook it up and then go from there in regards to replacing speakers, etc.
If you have the diversified antenna, there will be 2 antenna leads, 1-large and 1- small, either get the diversified adapter or just use the large antenna lead.
The blue/white lead from the head unit must be hooked up right to the factory harness wire, or you will have no sound or signal boost from the antenna booster mounted behind the headliner(both are turned on by the head unit).

The following users liked this post:
Shiftonthefly1 (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Jeeze. I'll be sure to wire the Flux copacitor too. Wow. Way to go LR for over complicating a simple thing. Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid taking my interior half apart but I guess if I want actual sound I need to. Grrr