General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery dash light, sunroof and pass side window

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:23 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dash light, sunroof and pass side window

new disco owner here. 2004 Disco 80,000. where we bought the truck they had an issue with the old battery so they put a new battery in the truck. my red battery dash light flashes on and off quite a bit. doesn't seem to have anything to do with rpms. had the alt checked and it is good.

forward sunroof seems to have no power at all. rear roof works just fine.

passenger front door glass will not roll up or down. all the way up the front of the window touches but the back of the window has about a 1/4 inch gap. try and roll it down and the entire window goes down about 1/2 inch but stops.

horn fuse was blown. put new fuse in and horn will not shut off.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated. loving the new truck, just need to get a few things resolved.

Last edited by lkarraker; 04-10-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM
4wd Low

Hey man,

I actually just had a similar issue in terms of my windows. I would try rolling them down and they would make a high-pitch grinding noise and then stick with about an inch of room left from the top. Big-time annoying! I replaced the window motor mechanisms on both sides and the problem was fixed. Couple hundred bucks to fix (if it is indeed the same problem).

Old 04-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Go get the charging system tested, should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts. Most part stores will check it for free.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The horn pads are bad, there are contacts under the buttons that wear out/go bad.
You need a new window regulator, or you can try and fix yours, it is a broken roller most of the time, you cannot buy that roller.
Check the tech section on the DI page for a how to.
As for the sunroof swap the front and rear switches and see if it is a bad switch, they use the same switches.
Double check your battery cables for loose connections, if they wiggle they can set off the battery light.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
6th Gear

thanks a lot for the responses. will check the horn pads, that makes sense. i was leaning toward the regulator or motor for the window. i was going to try swaping the switches, was just unsure about popping the face plate that holds the switches out. not sure if it is just snapped in there but will check it out. i am sure there is some kind of ground issue or something going on with the battery light. cables seem tight at the battery end, will track things down from there. i appreciate your info guys. will repost as i get things fixed.