General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake issues

hi all i just completed a complete rear brake job, rotors calipers pads and a line. I have bled the brakes and i have a good pedal feel now but since this is my first LR im not sure about this. my abs light is on and was when i bought this 07 discovery se there were no pads on the left side so i did all the rear brakes now i still cant the abs lite to go off and this rig wont lock up the brakes or have the abs work when i tried to slam them on in the dirt any suggestions before i haul this to the garage and spend god knows how much. thanks again for the advise from everyone.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How are the brakes working, does your ABS work on a loose surface?
It may be a matter of a code that just needs to be cleared, or an active fault that still needs some attention.
If you are OK with the brakes, you can always pull the fuse to turn off the light and when you have it in a shop, not the dealer, and have the codes read.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:28 PM
4wd Low

mike while you are talking about brakes ,got a question 05 lr3 se 50,000mi what is the best way to approach complete brake job if i have to do them every 20000 mi like some say do you just go the inespensive route or go all out with performance stuff thanks kendall

Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are getting an abs lite on a 97 the tap the abs sensors on all four wheels back down and make sure the brake lights in the rear don't stay on.

and for an LR3 its your driving doing it not the vehicle. They usually last 28 to 37k for most drivers.

if you put on ones that last longer they will be noisy as hell.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kendall flippen
mike while you are talking about brakes ,got a question 05 lr3 se 50,000mi what is the best way to approach complete brake job if i have to do them every 20000 mi like some say do you just go the inespensive route or go all out with performance stuff thanks kendall
With the right pads and rotors, you can keep the expense down quite a bit and do them yourself.
If you want some information on some high end ceramic brake pads, at a great price, that will give you better stopping power, last longer with little or no brake dust, consider a Google search for Akebono pads thru the Auto Parts Wharehouse site.
Any of us should be able to walk you thru doing the job.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
4wd Low

hey mike thanks any suggestions on rotors, slots, drilled holes what do you think thanks again

Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Overlanding

hey Disco Mike the brakes work fine and the abs does work on loose soil but the light is still on i will have it at the shop on saturday so i will post again when i find out the problem again thanks everyone you guys have all been a huge help with the repais on my 1st disco. thanks again armyeng

Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
4wd Low

hey mike how are you doing it sure is educational reading your posts thanks still wondering about your recommendations on rotors 05lr3 se thanks kendall

Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

cross drilled rotors soak up water and rust out and cause issues with warping. A real pos on an offroad vehicle. Notice how no Supercharged range rovers and range rover sports have drilled rotors from the factory.

if you are burning them up quick its your driving. not the parts. But if you can find ones that are supposed to last longer they will squeal like crazy.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM
4wd Low
Default rotors

this is the 1st lr i have owned I have had it about 2 months it needs a brake job. the question is what is a good choice of rotors to go with akebono cermic pads.its not a matter of off road or my driving, its mostly hwy, no off road and i am not hard on brakes . just wanted some opinions on what people have had good luck with? thanks

Quick Reply: brake issues