General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

brake light switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light switch issue

Hello all. I'm new here. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

My ex-wife's 1995 Discovery was having a problem getting into gear and the brake lights weren't working. I was able to figure out that the trouble was with the brake light switch by the brake pedal.

$30 later, jeez the parts for this thing are expensive, the switch arrived and, sure enough, that was the problem. However, after installing the after-market switch, the opposite problem was true. That is, the brake lights were always on. The button on the switch was just a hair too short to engage when the pedal was up.

So, after coming to terms with the notion that I have lived in Texas way too long and it has been affecting me somehow , I slapped some duct tape around the arm of the brake pedal to bring it that much closer. Voila! All is well. Only I really don't like that solution. I imagine the tape slipping off without her knowledge and causing her to get badly rear ended. I feel bad enough that I steered her into buying this car a few months ago -- I thought it was a great deal at $2000 -- and it has had several small, but pain in the neck, problems. I still think it was a great deal. The engine is great and everything is solid. But, little things errupt and parts take a while to get and are expensive. I paid nearly $200 and waited a week for a lousy hose last month.

Okay, story time is over. Sorry to ramble. Here comes the question:

Is there an adjustment screw for the arm of the brake pedal to bring it just a hair closer to the driver?

I hope the bold isn't considered rude in such a forum, I just wanted to spare anybody my ramblings if they wanted to get right to the question.

Any suggestions would be great. I want her to feel confident in the car enough to let me borrow it and take it four wheeling.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

AC Delco brake switch PN is E897A for the Auto Trans, about $14 at NAPA
I don't know if there's an adjustment to the pedal.
It's been a while since I replaced mine, but can you move the switch bracket a bit?
Or remove the switch and insert a washer between it and the bracket, so that the switch is effectively a bit further to the front of the car.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with antichrist, you can put a washer just between the bracket and the Brake Light Switch to make it a bit closer to the driver.

Last edited by archebald23; 02-08-2010 at 09:14 PM.