General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brand new owner of a '98 Discovery-help me get the gremlins out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new owner of a '98 Discovery-help me get the gremlins out!

I've had my Discovery for about two days now and a few issues have popped up. First and foremost I have no dash lights at all. The fuses are all fine and all instruments are working. I assume that the bulbs may be blown? How difficult is it to remove the cluster and change the bulbs? Which type of bulbs would I need? Second, the horn also does not work, again the fuses are all fine and the hazards which share the same fuse do work, so I'm assuming that there is a wiring issue somewhere. The power locks also are not functioning. Finally, the rear hatch, which opened yesterday with no problem, now cannot be opened. The lock seems to turn freely, and the handles on the inside and outside do operate, but the door does not budge. Are these common problems for Rovers of this era? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Brand new owner of a '98 Discovery-help me get the gremlins out!

Ian,
On your dash lights, have you checked your dimmer switch? I can't imagine they are all burned out.
On the tail gate, you may have a common problem with a dirty lock/latch assembly. Remove the Rover emblym from the tailgate handle, look inside and clean and sprry with WD40 or something similiar.
Mike

Old 07-28-2006, 02:07 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the tip it worked like a charm. The door now opens but with a lot of stiffness. My dad greased the hinge but it didn't seem to get any easier to open and close.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: RoverGuy26

thanks for the tip it worked like a charm. The door now opens but with a lot of stiffness. My dad greased the hinge but it didn't seem to get any easier to open and close.
Look under the door at the arm that sticks out near the hinge area, clean it really well with carb cleaner or any degreaser, dry it and then lube it, you should be fine.
Mike

Old 07-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi, you might read my p.s. in the discovery forum. I popped the main (pass side) fuse panel underhood to expose the terminals on the large fuses. I found lighting fuse screws weren't even finger tight. - check annually?