LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Gremlins - What to look out for...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default LR3 Gremlins - What to look out for...

Hey Fella's,

I'm thinking about stepping up to an LR3, I recently lost my DII in an unfortunate accident (it suffered severe frame damage & had the front driver's wheel ripped off the axle). The ARB Deluxe Bull Bar bumper saved my life Damn red light runners!

So, now I'm stuck between buying an '04 DII, swapping over all my gear from the '01 or switching gears & pick up an '05 LR3 (found one locally I have my eye on it) and part out my 01 DII.

What should I look for w/ these new series Discos? Specifically, the MY05?
Looking to put together a punch list to prepare myself before I go look at this thing. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There is probably a post somewhere that's lists things to look out for or to maybe expect.

Heck if you could find one that has receipts for all of these being fixed, even better:

Front lower control arm bushings and ball joints (will eat tires and make noises)
Water leaks (causing an electrical problem from a corroded wire harness)
Suspension compressor
Pcv valve
Thermostat housing
Software updates for engine, transmission, ride level, etc.
broken ash tray/coin box
Broken center console latch (not available separate)
Coolant level sensor
Hood latch sensor
Tailgate latch cable
Spare tire winch
Transmission service (if high enough miles or the electrical connector was leaking)

I'm probably forgetting things. It sounds like a big list but a lot are minor things but you'll probably see them eventually or they've already been repaired once or twice. Also you can fix most yourself without TOO much cost, except maybe the compressor, if you don't catch it early.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jafir
There is probably a post somewhere that's lists things to look out for or to maybe expect.

Heck if you could find one that has receipts for all of these being fixed, even better:

Front lower control arm bushings and ball joints (will eat tires and make noises)
Water leaks (causing an electrical problem from a corroded wire harness)
Suspension compressor
Pcv valve
Thermostat housing
Software updates for engine, transmission, ride level, etc.
broken ash tray/coin box
Broken center console latch (not available separate)
Coolant level sensor
Hood latch sensor
Tailgate latch cable
Spare tire winch
Transmission service (if high enough miles or the electrical connector was leaking)

I'm probably forgetting things. It sounds like a big list but a lot are minor things but you'll probably see them eventually or they've already been repaired once or twice. Also you can fix most yourself without TOO much cost, except maybe the compressor, if you don't catch it early.
My man, thanks Jafir. Not a bad list at all considering where I'm coming from (the DII). Thoughts or suggestion on which route to take?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

If you're going to daily drive it and take it on road trips etc, LR3 over D2 any day. More power, better MPG, better reliability of the engine, etc. If you're going to wheel it mostly stock, LR3 will walk all over a D2. Mine has front and rear heated seats, front and rear a/c, and jump seats that are closer to usable than a D2. Also the jump seats and middle row fold completely flat for loading stuff.

The LR3 is also mostly prewired for a Ford electric brake controller, so towing is easier. It will also tow more than D2. I've towed an LR3 with and LR3. I don't know that I'd want to tow a D2 with another D2.

If you're going to mod it for off road stuff... D2. Heck even D1. LR3 with its independent suspension and air suspension front and rear is awesome stock, but it limits upgrades in my opinion. At least right now.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Funny you should mention replacing a D2 with a D3.

When I was on my hunt for a minty 04 - I kept going back to the looming hate of the 4.6 - Pinned liners, overheating, cracking... I'd hate to have spent the cash on a minty truck and then have it throw a liner, making me put 5-8k into a new engine for the pig...

I went with an LR3. After owning both, no question, I like the LR3 more.

Things to note from the conversion. LR3 is LARGER. It's wider. It's roomier inside. It too suffers lucas electrics problems, and other land rover oddities, but they are less overall suffering than a D2, in my opinion.

And I also do agree with other folks -- the D2 / D1 would be a better woods truck, if only for aftermarket support.

Mine, I've purchased my 05 SIMPLY to be a woods beater. I'm going to attempt to do things with it that others generally would not. Crazy? Sure. Is it too shiny to bring in the woods? yep. But I'm doing it anyway. Ok, I really do need to start a build thread...

Dave

Old 05-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Funny you should mention replacing a D2 with a D3.

When I was on my hunt for a minty 04 - I kept going back to the looming hate of the 4.6 - Pinned liners, overheating, cracking... I'd hate to have spent the cash on a minty truck and then have it throw a liner, making me put 5-8k into a new engine for the pig...

I went with an LR3. After owning both, no question, I like the LR3 more.

Things to note from the conversion. LR3 is LARGER. It's wider. It's roomier inside. It too suffers lucas electrics problems, and other land rover oddities, but they are less overall suffering than a D2, in my opinion.

And I also do agree with other folks -- the D2 / D1 would be a better woods truck, if only for aftermarket support.

Mine, I've purchased my 05 SIMPLY to be a woods beater. I'm going to attempt to do things with it that others generally would not. Crazy? Sure. Is it too shiny to bring in the woods? yep. But I'm doing it anyway. Ok, I really do need to start a build thread...

Dave
Funny, Dave I'm stuck in same thought you were in before you picking up the 3. The enthusiast in me certainly wouldn't allow a stock truck, I would need, at the very least a lift (Johnson rods? That's a real thing? Love the name) and some Muds or A/T's.

I think the ultimate deciding factor will come down to the insurance adjuster's quote/settlement for the DII. Once, I know the financials I'll be in a better position to choose between sticking with a DII or ponying up for a 3. Deep down I want both.

Let's get that build going...

Last edited by coors; 05-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Wheel bearings (not too expensive)
And parking brake issues (pretty expensive)

Are also pretty common issues I forgot about earlier.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Differentials! That's the one that needs to be on the list. Listen for any moaning. If they are not noisy and you buy that truck, change the fluid ASAP.

You can get pretty decent mods now for wheelin' an LR3 but the overall cost to play is gonna be more. Both in terms of cost of bolt-on goodies and cost of repair.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, the D3 will be more money than the D2 to wheel, for sure. Finally got to start my build thread. Lots to come still. https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...g-woods-73607/

I think if the Diffs are already roaring or moaning - I'd pass on it. There's obviously already damage. With that said however, you could use that for a bargaining chip if you're planning on yanking them for lockers anyway!

Dave

Old 05-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I cannot wait to get mine back. The shop thinks they'll have it done by the end of the month! Then I get to go through it and see what stuff on this list is broken on it

Quick Reply: LR3 Gremlins - What to look out for...