General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C trouble in Phoenix heat!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:26 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C trouble in Phoenix heat!

So I have read as many threads as I can so feel free to redirect if needed.
I purchased a used 2006 RRS 4.4L off a used lot that had been auctioned. The A/C was marginal so I took it to a local shop, they threw gauges on it added some Freon. Pressures are good, compressor seems to work fine, couldn't see any obvious leaks and had it blowing 41 degrees out the vents. Awesome! Yet I go pick it up after it has been sitting in the parking lot baking in 107 degree heat and all I get is hot air, dang.
Shop says they saw no codes on there scanner, which doesn't go very deep into Rover territory, and suggested taking it to a specialty shop. So I jump on the forums and read... lots of good learning. I try everything that I see.
So here is what I see and feel in the truck. First the ECON button is off and the compressor appears to be operating. Air moves to all levels of vents with either manual of auto controls, blower works fine. Hot air blowing out back seat vents. Doing the hold econ/recirc button thingy shows no faults. Also no faults on dash.
So here is where I get lost. It appears that if the cabin is HOT the A/C cooling shuts down. I tested it a number of times today with it sitting in my garage with ambient temperature reading 106. The only way I got any cool air was if I manually set it to the floor position and it would blow cold air for about 20 seconds before returning to hot. Only hot air from other vents. Then tonight it is "cooler"," ambient temp in garage in 94 and I get some cold air from all vent settings. It seems to oscillate from cooler to warmer every few seconds but never gets really cold.
So I am guessing I have either a controller problem or some other dash issue.
Help, the wife wants to go camping!