General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't get my safari light to turn on

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my safari light to turn on

Hey guys. I can't seem to get my safari 5000 lights to fire up on my disco series II. I checked the wiring, bulbs, etc. All look good. i read somewhere that it could be a relay, but I can't find the relay. Any advice.
thanks

Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Is it a factory install? If so, there should be a smaller black plastic box that is bolted d on to the rear of main fuse box on the right fender under the hood. Directly behind this smaller box is a 15A fuse. See if it's blown?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Landmorpheus, I checked behind the fusebox and there was no other little box nor fuse. I'm not the first owner, so i'm not sure if this is a factory install, but the wiring job does look factory. Any other idea's?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Pro Wrench

I assume they worked previously, correct? Did anything happen between when they did work and when they stopped working? New battery, removal of any components in the dash?

It sounds like you might have to get a multimeter and start checking contacts to see where the power stops, be it a cut wire, blown fuse, etc.

As far as the factory install goes, the only thing inside the car is the switch. Everything else takes place under the hood, where the two wires feed through the firewall, run through a 15A fuse, get tied into the main fuse box, have a body ground, a battery feed on the positive cable, and to the lamps. (not necessarily in that order)

Just follow your wires brack from the lamps and see where they go.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
5th Gear

Still havn't been able to figure this thing out. i found two relays that the lights go to, and just replaced the two hoping that would solve my problem, but it didn't. Does anybody know where i can find installation instructions.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Pro Wrench

When I installed mine, I used the instructions found in the RAVE manual (which can be found on this site with a search, and several members had a download link in their signature) but... if you replaced two relays inline with the light wiring, you definitely don't have a stock setup, as the factory setup doesn't use relays like that. Your best bet might be to just do a google search of fog light wiring or something similar. Most aftermarket fog light kits use similar wiring and relays. Find a diagram that matches what you have installed, and start checking power and grounds.