General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cd changer recognition

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cd changer recognition

Just installed another cd changer in my 99 discovery1, it was missing when I bought it two months ago. My problem is that it only goes through the motion of loading and unloading all cd's and then stops, reset it and it does it again. the radio doesn't recognize it and it does not become one of the options as the manual says it will. What can I do about this problem now? Would it help to disconnect battery so as to cause re enter of code?

Old 01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: cd changer recognition

The same set of symptoms happened to my wife's Alpine CD changer, installed in a BMW. The thing would keep cycling through as you describe even with the key out of the ingnition. I had to disconnect the whole thing just so it wouldn't run all day and night. The problem was a blown "periferal adaptor" (a small plastic box about the size of a cell phone, denoted as "PERIF 96+ BMW ALPCH"). The part was $100 plus a $25 install at Magnolia Audio in Seattle. The original part was only a year old (about 2 weeks out of warranty, as expected) when it fried. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Three Wheeling

I just experienced a similar problem with my installed 6 disc, it is an alpine. It will play the disc but nothing comes out of the speakers. Right before it happened, it was skipping in and out. Best buy said that if the cables were lose behind the face that it would get the signal to change disc, so he said it was either the cd changer or the interface connector. I am not sure where I can buy the digital interface that allows you to hook up the 6 disc to the LR factory stereo.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
6th Gear

the cd changer fails like this
sometimes it takes a long time to read the cd or it reads all 6 disc, but it tells you that the cd magazine is empty
or error 1
most of the times the cd changer is defective and replacing the cd magazine is not going to help
our cd changers are made by Alpine i found a better unit and also a mp3 6 disc cd changer
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-54-15...ata-cable.aspx

believe it or not this cd changer is not for land rover but it plugs in to the cable under the seat and it works
we can play mp3 files from our factory radios

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-47-16...6-to-2004.aspx