General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clicking noise

About a year ago i was on my way to a job interview when i was stopped at a red light. When i pulled away i started feeling this vibration then a loud BAM and then very loud vibrations. i pulled over thinking i had blown a tire(oops i mean tyre) and didn't see anything wrong with them. i looked under the rover and saw the problem, the front drive shaft was missing and all that was left was the grooved male piece that the shaft fit over. i walked down the road and found the drive shaft out in the field on the side of the road and threw it back in the rover. well i towed it later back home on a trailer and it sat there for about 10 months. I finally had the drive shaft put back on after replacing a u joint. but now it clicks when i drive. it stops when the rover stops and picks back up as i accelerate. now i also have a trans leak somewhere cause i had to fill that sucker back up and i think it is low again. right now i don't drive it cause i don't want to ruin it. but i need it to run so i can have a vehicle. Someone said the clicking could be the transmission since it isn't pressurized. some people say i need to replace one of the yokes on the front drive shaft. but everyone around here is a redneck who thinks they know land rovers. anyone know what i should do?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The drive shaft should have had a full rebuild, 3 new servicable u-joints and a centering ball kit. It is and will fail very soon causing you to possibly damage the tranny also.
Send me your tele number so we can talk more about it.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Mudding

Sorry i dont want to sound rude but i dont like to talk on the phone as it is. But you think i just need a new drive shaft? the yoke was damaged when the drive shaft was put back on. and it was the yoke on the front axle. you think it is just that or the whole driveshaft?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

You may want to get around that issue.
Yes, you need a new drive shaft, I am not into a lot of typing cause I have more people that need help, so go find one and good luck.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Mudding

ok thanks, sorry. nothing personal. i understand, i was hoping you would be the person who would reply since you always know what you are talking about.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I over see 4 different Rover forums and truthfully do not have time to work with people who are not open to my requests, especially when I do this at no expense to you and out of my own time.
There will be no further replys.

The following users liked this post:
Virgil Grillone (04-22-2023)
Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Mudding

i was saying thank you, i was not being rude or making fun. I appreciate your time.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Get the drive shaft checked out. Rebuilding it may not be a valid option considering that if came apart. The yokes need to be carefully inspected, and also the splines, for damage. If everything checks out, it should be able to be completely rebuilt. That means 3 u-joints and a centering kit. Any driveline shop should be able to do it for you. There's nothing special about Land Rover drive shafts.

As for the transmission level, clean it real well and inspect the housing. It may have gotten cracked from impact by the driveshaft.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by antichrist
Get the drive shaft checked out. Rebuilding it may not be a valid option considering that if came apart. The yokes need to be carefully inspected, and also the splines, for damage. If everything checks out, it should be able to be completely rebuilt. That means 3 u-joints and a centering kit. Any driveline shop should be able to do it for you. There's nothing special about Land Rover drive shafts.

As for the transmission level, clean it real well and inspect the housing. It may have gotten cracked from impact by the driveshaft.
I took it to a engine and transmission place and they told me that the drive shaft was fine. but the yoke was damaged. they said you could drive on the road fine but would be carefull taking it off road. well....whats the point of having a land rover and not taking it off road? But it just keeps making that noise and i think i will ask and see if its the yokes. i just wanted to check here first cause i work from 8-6 and there are no shops open when i get off.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If it's damaged so you shouldn't off-road, you shouldn't be driving with it either.
Find a driveline shop and have it checked out. If you have trouble finding one, ring up a heavy truck repair shop and ask who rebuilds their drivelines. They'll have the name of a shop. A lot of times there's someone at the driveline shop early, or they can tell you a place you can leave it so it's there for them when they come in, like, "Behind the 3rd pallet to the right of the door."