General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

climate control fan problems (Disco I)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:50 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default climate control fan problems (Disco I)

[align=left]Hi all, new to my LR. I just picked up a 97 SE7. The family and I all love it, but it has a long list of things for me to do- I got it as a project/toy so I expected some toying around. In passing I am a diesel mechanic- so I understand righty tighty.

The biggest concern right now is the blower. I get some heat at speed one and hear the motor kick on- but after that I don't know that speed two is any faster and speed 3 and 4 actually do nothing (squirel cage stops). Have you experts seen this before? I will be heading out with my multi-meter this week to check voltages at the motor etc. but hoping one of you has seen a basic issue with this before I disasemble my dash.

Tomorow after work the new battery goes in and I get a new jack (my only jack at home is for the Passat- and it gets my disco up about three inches.)

Next are my brakes. The truck came with a full set of rotors, pads, and some misc. hardware (from Atlantic British). Took it to some local shops to have them throw on the sets, and all the local brake shops are outrageous. I got the cheapest quote of $500 for labor (I supplied the parts). So off I go to do that one in the cold. LOL. I found the online articles- thanks to everyone on that one!

I fixed the broken trim, screwed up passenger door mirror, and buggered rear window. This was all pretty simple. I still need to take it to a locksmith (ignition key will not come out), figure out the rear bumper tailight not working, fix some dash ilumination, replace the dash clock, drop the fuel tank and replace the sender (only goes to half on the guage) do a complete tune up, replace the nonfunctioning auto dimming mirror (has anyone retrofitted a compass model in a Disco I?), and then find a high output alternator. I am sure the list will get longer as I play with it.

Last thing- has anyone done a write up on doing the heads yet? I suppose I will be doing that here in the next couple of months- once I have gotten all the other stuff sorted out. I think it has a minor leak on the passenger side rear. I will be doing a leak down on all the cylinders when I retrofit my guage to small sparkplug sized holes.

So that will be my last big job- then I can start playing with the fun stuff! Where are the best suppliers for snorkels, roof racks, etc? Thanks all!

Will
[/align]

Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: climate control fan problems (Disco I)

Sound like the blower resistor pack is burned out causing you to not have all your speeds.
As for replacing your battery, do you have your radio security code so you can reactivate the radio after you do yor radio swap? If not go to your local Rover dealer and have them get you your trucks radio code and have them run your truck for recalls at the same time.
You might want to go to E-Bay and buy a Rave CD with your trucks shop manual, will save you alot of time while makin some of your repairs especially the head gaskets.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have my code! Yeah for my team. LOL. Now I have to find a used ignition switch. Locksmith came out and it is currently jerry rigged to work, but hardly correct, and there is a constant beeeeeeeeep- while it is running. But thats okay- after he buttoned up the steering column, he lost the key. LOL. So truck is at work and I had to bum a ride. So for the first time my truck has me stranded- but not her fault. I am just going to get used to it. LOL. Anyhow, I will look into the blower and let you know what I come up with. Thanks!

Will
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go to this site for a used ignition switch assembly, http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=135
Good luck,
Mike