General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cold Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Idle Issue

The Range is doing something funny. It's only happened twice now, and its only after the truck sits for a day or so. On top of that...I'm pretty sure both times it was raining out...not sure if that's relevant.

Anyway, it would seem to have trouble keeping a steady idle RPM. When sitting at normal idle in Park, the RPMs drop down less than 100 or so...just enough to make the engine buffet a little bit, giving a good shake inside, then it fluctuates back up to normal idle. This continues up and down...but it stopped if I give it some gas. When I drive off, it will do it at idle rpm still in drive, but only untill the engine heats up. Then the vibration/shake goes away completely.

So I'm thinking idle air control valve if it keeps getting worse. But its up to 86000 miles, and I havnt done a tune up since I've had it, but I do believe the 60k was done at the dealer. So I still have some MAF cleaner and carb cleaner, should I clean off the MAF and intake and see how that goes? Or would it be time to start doing plugs/wires? Or would this definitely be an idle air control issue, and replace that $50 part?

Thanks as always!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Idle Issue

If its the Bosch Idle air control valve with one in and one out on the the intake with a plug it like a clock on the inside.

Remove it and clean it out with a solvent of your choice since its aluminum and not likely to get damaged.
This will also help your transmissionshift more smothly.
THey usually don't break.

-michael-

Old 11-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Winching

Does it have a pintle like domestic vehicle's IAC? Anything in particular i'd be looking at cleaning?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Winching

Alright I found the IAC procedure on the RAVE cd...I'll see about getting a new gasket for it and get to cleaning it!

But...pretty much every fuel system repair starts off with 1. Remove battery negative lead.

Whats the point in removing the battery ground? I don't like pulling the battery cables off on the Range because of all the computer issues I can probably cause..