General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranking after sitting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranking after sitting...

Greeting rover family!

As mentioned above... Any way I can safely turn the disco over without metal on metal contact from sitting for about 8 months? I'm running some fresh Rotella T 15/30 I believe in the Bay Area on an incline.

I've read that in some cars I can disengage the fuse to the starter and prep the motor by turning the key to the on position to squirt some oil with own pump... Sadly, I am not a mechanic but I do love my truck and have grown a LITTLE competant thanks to YOUTUBE. please advise!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

You could pull the plugs and put a squirt of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder. Than pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it over on the starter. To build oil pressure. Than re-install the fuse, to fire it up.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the heads up! Any idea which one that may be on a 2001 Disco V8?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

A Simpler way is to open the oil cap , use an oil can with a flexible line , squirt some oil ,or try to ...get some oil onto the rocker area , then start , and let idle ,don't rev the engine !!! then try to get it to a level surface ..

this is not different to parking up for one week /one month ...... it take a few hours for the oil to cool and run back down.. and oil does not evaporate when car is parked anyway.....the oil pump will do its job...

Last edited by justryan; 04-23-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if the truck has been sitting 8-months there is no way to start it up without metal on metal contact; unless you pressurize the oiling system.
the only way I see that happening is removing the oil sender unit and forcing oil in using something like a pressurized garden sprayer.

personally I agree with pulling the plugs spay the cylinder and crank it over with the plugs out until you see oil in the top end. reinstall the plugs and fire it up.

oiling your rockers is going to do nothing for your bearings, other than run down the oil return holes.

Last edited by drowssap; 04-23-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
if the truck has been sitting 8-months there is no way to start it up without metal on metal contact; unless you pressurize the oiling system.
the only way I see that happening is removing the oil sender unit and forcing oil in using something like a pressurized garden sprayer.

personally I agree with pulling the plugs spay the cylinder and crank it over with the plugs out until you see oil in the top end. reinstall the plugs and fire it up.

oiling your rockers is going to do nothing for your bearings, other than run down the oil return holes.
So Cranking it without the plugs wont cause just as much friction/damage ??? so pre lubricating the rockers won't prevent the un-necssary cranking and extra work ??? seriously dude ??? it is already parked at an angle...

Old 04-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

So Cranking it without the plugs wont cause just as much friction/damage: YES; it does this because there is no compression.

so pre lubricating the rockers won't prevent the un-necssary cranking and extra work, THAT IS CORRECT
the oil is just going to run down the returns, plus how do you squirt oil in the other cover.
the rocker are the last thing to see oil, the bearings and rings are dry along with a good portion of the lifters have drained down,
you need to pressurize it from the bottom up.

seriously dude.

Last edited by drowssap; 04-23-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 PM
4th Gear

I really appreciate all the help everybody. I'll definitely consider all the suggestions. I've tried squirting oil into the spark plug holes before since I've had to park her for another long period of time and it seemed to work. I was really hoping that there was a way the rig can do it on its own by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking it that way without removing the plugs. Now, I totally see how the marvel mystery is needed to further avoid the "heavy metal". Thanks a lot gents!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
So Cranking it without the plugs wont cause just as much friction/damage: YES; it does this because there is no compression.

so pre lubricating the rockers won't prevent the un-necssary cranking and extra work, THAT IS CORRECT
the oil is just going to run down the returns, plus how do you squirt oil in the other cover.
the rocker are the last thing to see oil, the bearings and rings are dry along with a good portion of the lifters have drained down,
you need to pressurize it from the bottom up.

seriously dude.
i understand bro and see your point , and my apology if it sounded harsh...don't mean any dis respect...

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (04-23-2015)