General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Defective new master cylinder????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective new master cylinder????

I had bake issues. Feedback from issue posted indicated a blown master cyl. Went to 2 brake shops... same diagnosis. Bought a remanufactured master cylinder from Autozone. Read up on how to install and did it.

Problem is that no matter how many times I bleed the front brakes, they're useless after a few miles. Back brakes are fine. No problems, did them right. But when I bleed the front brakes, the keep spitting out a combo of fluid and air. I'm not leaking fluid and both front brakes show the exact same symptoms, so...

What's the issue here?
My thinking is that there's a problem with the FRONT chamber of the master cylinder, because when I primed them, the rear chamber started circulating fluid out of the port after only a few cranks, but I couldn't get fluid to flow out of the front chamber consistently. I must have cranked that thing each way 50 times.

Am I missing something? Is the master not the problem?
I think I got a defective remanufactured master cylinder, but I wanted smarter opinions.

Thanks.

Shamus

Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Defective new master cylinder????

If you bled the master cylinder prior to installing it and it doesn't work, it is probably a bad rebuild. Remember to use DOT 4, ONLY!!
Mike

Old 11-18-2008, 12:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Defective new master cylinder????

I bled the master... not sure if I bled it enough. The rear cylinder was fine. The front seemed strange. I cranked it over and over and wasn't getting a consistent flow. I'm going to rip it out and prime it again. If I can't prime it in two attempts, yet the back primes no problem, I think its got to be a bad reman.

Thanks,
Shamus