General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Defender diff lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender diff lock

Morning all,I picked up my new 52 plate TD5 defender 90 yesterday afternoon and i chuffed to bit with itJust one small problem with the diff lock,when i engage it the warning light on the dash does not light up to say that it is engaged.I have followed what it says in the owners manuel but still no joy,Im sure it isnt the bulb in the dash as these are L.E.D's on a printed circuit board and L.E.D'S rarely go wrong.Im just worryed that if i do engage diff lock and when i come back to normal driving and engage normal High or Low on the transfer that the Diff could still be lock and i might damage the transmission.I have 3 months warranty on the vehical should i take it back and ask whats up with it or am i just doing somthing wrong!Any help and ideas would be much appreciated

Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If, when you think you have it engaged, if you try and turn a tight circle, can you feel the tires scuffing at the ground, kind of lurching, if so, the CGL is engaged. Sometimes when the CDL hasn't been used in a while the switch is slow to engage, be patient, if it doesn't come on after several attempts, then go see the mechanic.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If, when you think you have it engaged, if you try and turn a tight circle, can you feel the tires scuffing at the ground, kind of lurching, if so, the CGL is engaged. Sometimes when the CDL hasn't been used in a while the switch is slow to engage, be patient, if it doesn't come on after several attempts, then go see the mechanic.
well iv been messing around with it now for the last few hours so its off to where it came from next friday for them to fix. The car was first a Demo for Landrover and has been owned since by a woman so i guess its never even been out of high range!