General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dex cool leak around the timing chain cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
lots of people run 15rW40 Rotella, however the factory manual has a spec range for oil viscosity based on local temp. Here's a page on that. Diesel oil have more cleaning compounds, which is good to slowly remove previous owner gunk.
Thanks Buzz...

Thats out of the RAVE? I dl'ed the Rave and printed some of it just to have...

I know some people have allot of gunk inside there motors...I dont...I did have a small thin layer of crud in the lowest part of the pan, but the rods, bottom of the pistons, crank only had a brown tinge from the oil. No sludge or any kind of buildup.

I also lack any kind of dexcool buildup.

I am now thankful for the maintenance the previous owner(s) did because it seems like it was done routinely.

Of the poeple that have been running Rotella (we do too) has there been any oil pump problems?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Don't think so. Oil pump problems seem to be more common in D2, can make a tick. Members have posted picture of oil pump with outer gear ring in several pieces, still pumping oil, but not at correct pressure. If you have Murphy (of Murphy's Law) lurking under your hood, might want to do a mechanical gauge PSI test.

Pix from DeepBlueWater, solved a ticking 03.

Page 120 of 1529 in the workshop manual for a D2 is the source of the oil specs.

I like the whole RAVE so you can look up related vehicles, the overhaul manual, etc. But to each his own. And for some forum members, the RAVE on a USB stick is handy to carry. For a select few of those whom I have offended in the past, that's the suppository size.

Attached Thumbnails Dex cool leak around the timing chain cover-oil-pump.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I will surely check into the oil pump...I already made a list of the parts I need, gaskets (again) and the pump gears, going to do the thermostat and I might change the hoses and serpatine while they are off. I am doing head gaskets and intake in the spring, basically the top half. Might do a little porting or some gasket matching depending on what information I find out about the whole process. I dont want to mess up the computer, flow etc...

Having the RAVE on a thumbstick is a great idea. I have the RAVE on my work computer, my home laptop, and another laptop which is more like a clipboard and has a touch screen. Its the perfect reference material.

Ive been on many forums, seen many comments taken the wrong way and some people just cant handle the truth sometimes. You wont offend me, no worries here. I'm pretty hard around the edges.