General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Diesel particulate filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:15 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel particulate filter

Hi All
I have a discovery sport with the ingenium engine 2017 make. It's been flashing the Dpf self clean needed message every week. Now I have spoken to a few others who have rarely ever seen the message though they too do short drives mostly like me. I am told it's because of my driving style as in short city rides under 60 km/hr. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I really think there's something wrong and at weekly frequency it's more than just driving style! What are your thoughts?

Old 11-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Short city trips don’t get the dpf hot enough to turn the soot into ash and out the tailpipe, so it gets trapped into the dpf and accumulates hence the message. Highway trip will work or someone with the software to do a regeneration.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:39 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
Short city trips don’t get the dpf hot enough to turn the soot into ash and out the tailpipe, so it gets trapped into the dpf and accumulates hence the message. Highway trip will work or someone with the software to do a regeneration.
Thanks for that. My worry is that the message shows almost every week even after I have diligently done the 20 minutes drive above 60 k/hr. is that normal?

Old 11-19-2018, 02:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I'd assume this vehicle is still under warrenty, have you taken it to the dealer? Might be a glitch in the software or system. Have them check the soot and ash levels. You don't want this to go on for to long, or DPF could become full/plugged. But, yes...take it out for a nice half hour drive at highway speeds...weekly...this will help immensely.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'd assume this vehicle is still under warrenty, have you taken it to the dealer? Might be a glitch in the software or system. Have them check the soot and ash levels. You don't want this to go on for to long, or DPF could become full/plugged. But, yes...take it out for a nice half hour drive at highway speeds...weekly...this will help immensely.

Brian.
Thanks Brian. The vehicle is very much under warranty. In fact I had taken it to them just a couple of months ago., did mention my concerns on this. They claim that the dpf is working fine and it's my driving style really that's to blame. I have since been taking it to the motor way at least weekly but the message keeps coming up almost without fail on a weekly basis. So I then took the issue directly to Land Rover who directed me back to the dealer. So I spoke to the guy there. He of course insists it's all normal. I can't imagine that we'll always have the opportunity to do long drives at such close intervals. The dealer says it's an emissions related thing and newer cars have stricter standards. Even so...

Old 11-21-2018, 03:50 AM
Camel Trophy

Yes, emissions are only going to get worse over the next few years for diesel engines. I primarily work on mid-duty diesel engines; Cummins, IC, Detroit, Cat, etc. So, l'm not that familiar with this engine of yours. But, l would assume it has a predetermined set of parameters that have to be met to do a passive regeneration (regenerate while driving)...and you're not meeting those requirements. Do you know if they are at least doing a forced regen, when you take it to the dealership?

Oddly, we use to tell our fleet drivers to drive cautiously...but since the introduction of DPF systems (Diesel Particulate Filter)...we tell them to "drive it like they stole it". Idle time is a killer for these systems, too. Try and avoid idling at all cost. If you do have to warm up the car, because of low ambient temperatures, raise the idle slightly to a 1000 rpm's (after a couple minutes, making sure to get adequate oil pressure). This will help some, diesel engine are the dirtiest (creating soot), when cold and idling.

If this issue persist, l'd definitely keep after the dealership for assistance. Keeping a record of this issue will help you in the future, when the system becomes completely plugged. Let them know that you are driving it for longer periods of time, without seeing any change.

Personally, and l know this doesn't help you at all, but l wouldn't buy a diesel engine in any vehicle that l was going to drive in a commuting fashion. Not unless l was driving it on the weekends to a cottage 2 hours away, every weekend, expressway driving. The savings in fuel mileage doesn't justify the cost of DPF issues in the future, if the vehicle isn't driven enough to cure DPF issues. One serious DPF issue...and there goes your entire fuel mileage savings for the ownership of the vehicle.

Anyhow, good luck.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 11-21-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:15 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Brian.the dealer says he did a forced regeneration. But don't find the lot terribly competent. The log is a good idea. I had a coolant issue twice within a short span. They did a pressure test.. all ok. Get the vehicle back., low coolant message pops up again. Called him again. Got a physics lesson on coolant properties. Refilled after overnight rest. Then noticed a big pool of coolant next to the car on returning to it., so not sure what really happens . Basically not very confident about the service centre's work or diagnostic capabilities!

Old 11-25-2018, 05:43 AM
Camel Trophy

I know it may be difficult...but is it possible to go to another dealership. We had a terrible time with a dealership, vehicles going there five or six times for the same issue. Eventually switched dealerships, which meant driving twenty minutes longer, and issues started getting repaired first time.

And yes, keep taking it back for repairs and site the "lemon law"...since you are driving the vehicle as expected, or no different than friends that have same vehicle without issue...but you are having issues. Something just doesn't add up here, and it would seem to me...that there is a problem with your DPF system. When you take it in next time, ask them for a printout of the codes they are finding and for all past history. Start building a document for future protection. Records will be your only saving grace, increase you go the "lemon law" route.

Brian.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:42 PM
7th Gear

Thanks again Brian. That's what I thought too.. that there is a problem with the dpf. The dealer trots out the usual longer journeys, stop start stuff. Anyway I got in touch with the company as the service centre had not detected a coolant leak despite having taken it to them twice for the low coolant level indicator. Hopefully going through the company customer relations would put some pressure.. and maybe they'll give the dpf a proper check! I'll check about the codes print out though.