General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Disco 1 - Transmission Oil & Filter Change then Issues began

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:24 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 1 - Transmission Oil & Filter Change then Issues began

Hello, I recently got my hands on a semi neglected 97 TD Disco 1 with 350K on it. I have very little to no Disco knowledge and just want to use it as a daily drive and leave my other truck (not a disco) in the garage as a dedicated bush / camp vehicle.

This car is great to drive & I began a maintenance program when I got my hands on it. It actually has a full service history according to the service manual (with probably standard oil leaks) but the last service was well overdue by time not Km's & the paint work on the bonnet is in poor condition (which is why i use the term semi neglected) but the transmission fluid was reddish brown, was low when I got the car and the 'take up or clutch performance' was slow until I topped the fluid up.

Ive just dropped the pan, changed the filter and put new semi synthetic fluid into it.
  • DEXRON®-IIIH/G/F
  • Semi Synthetic
  • Mitsubishi MM SP3, ATF 3403, JASO 1A Chrysler 7176E (ATF+3®/4®)Toyota T-II/T-IV, Nissanmatic C, D, J
My car didn't have a fill plug in the pan so I used the dip stick tube to fill her up - resulted in an overfill I think but I drove it for a day (less than 100 km) dropped 3 litres out of & then topped it up to the correct level. Drives well no shudder seems ok. My problem is that now the auto does not select park (so I need to find neutral to start it) and while driving I can slip it back to 3rd but it will not return to drive.

The stick doesn't seem to select gears smoothly and I need to manipulate the button and move the shifter in order to find correct gears.

Any clues as to what has occurred. Help Advice Comments appreciated

Old 07-28-2017, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Changing transmission fluid on high mileage vehicles is always risky (dirty fluid clogs important areas when you drain it, causing probs), but you might be able to save your transmission with Seafoam's transmission flush and 2 or 3 clean (and complete) ATF drains and refills with new fluid.

If you insist on expensive ATF (e.g. synthetic) then save that for your last refill after your last ATF drain.

Good luck! Some transmissions can be saved.