Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues after transmission filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after transmission filter change?

Well, I was hoping to reslolve this issue but it seems I cannot. when I purchased the vehicle 18 months ago I did a transmission fluid change but did not drop the pan and change the filter. After about 14,000 miles I decided to go ahead and do this again and change the filter. There was some fine particle sludge on and around the magnet in the pan, but it did not seem abnormal for a transmission that has 107K without a filter change. Upon completion and refilling the transmission per the RAVE manual I noticed that the rover was not wanting to go into reverse well imidiately. It sounded like something forward in the transmission would spin for a second before the rpm's would drop and the vehicle would go into reverse. Everything else seemed to function properly but I drove it for a couple hours over the next day and the problem did not seem to go away. So, back into the garage to drop the pan and check and make sure everything looked OK and I did not forget something. This time I used a bottle of lucas as suggested by Disco Mike in a couple of threads. The problem is now worse and seems to have migrated to all of the gears. The freespin sound is still there in reverse, but it does not slip into gear with a slight rpm drop, now it goes back to idle as it should in park or neutral. The transmission will still engage in every gear but not well and takes some throttle. The problem seems worse in reverse as it will slip out of reverse and the truck will idle higher about half the time with no throttle. The fluid that I pulled seems dark I have no codes right now and have not had any transmission codes since I owned the vehicle. I have noticed that my alternator seems to charge lower than I think it should(13.5v-13.9v depending on what is running.) I know it sounds like low fluid, it does to me anyway, but I have checked the level multiple times while running and in every gear. What are some posibilities that do not include a new transmission? Is a faulty/dirty filter not allowing fluid through a possibility?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

When you went back in the last time, any issues with O rings and filter items? You did replace them, and hopeully did not pinch any. As for codes, have you scanned, or just going by no CEL on? BTW 13.8 OK volts.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
When you went back in the last time, any issues with O rings and filter items? You did replace them, and hopeully did not pinch any. As for codes, have you scanned, or just going by no CEL on? BTW 13.8 OK volts.
I saw no issues with anything other than the color of the fluid. The filter was a new duralast with o-ring and everything seemed to be in order. I did not replace anything the last time I pulled the pan. I saw nothing amiss, but my eye is far from experienced. Other than the o-ring on the filter what could I have flubbed? I saw a small diameter pvc line or two, but did not fiddle with anything. I have a scangauge 2 and have no codes or CEL.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like the filter was installed wrong.
Reverse is the first passage way for the trans fluid, then 1st, 2nd, etc.

Try this, park it facing out, before you start it shift to neutral, then start the engine and drop it into drive.
What happens?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Sounds like the filter was installed wrong.
Reverse is the first passage way for the trans fluid, then 1st, 2nd, etc.

Try this, park it facing out, before you start it shift to neutral, then start the engine and drop it into drive.
What happens?
It goes into drive, but still slips a tad at low rpm. The filter has 3 torx bolts, one in the center to retain the pickup and two about an inch apart at the corner where the transmission draws from. I am not discounting the possibility that it was installed wrong, but it seems unlikely given the config. Maybe I should pull the pan again?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

OK,
This is very easy.

You need to keep the truck running - the engine running and then fill the transmission all the way to the top until it flow out the fill plug.

Don't burn your self and put wheel chocks under the wheels.

You may get three to 4 more bottles in.

You probably hear a suction sound when trying to go into gears.
the transmission pump is sucking air.

Put in 3 to 4 more bottles of fluid with the engine running and you'll be fine.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfall
OK,
This is very easy.

You need to keep the truck running - the engine running and then fill the transmission all the way to the top until it flow out the fill plug.

Don't burn your self and put wheel chocks under the wheels.

You may get three to 4 more bottles in.

You probably hear a suction sound when trying to go into gears.
the transmission pump is sucking air.

Put in 3 to 4 more bottles of fluid with the engine running and you'll be fine.
Originally Posted by MuleyJ
I know it sounds like low fluid, it does to me anyway, but I have checked the level multiple times while running and in every gear.

I wish you were right, but it is not that easy.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

Did you remove the old O-ring when replacing the filter?
Are you sure the filter is seated correctly?
Used used Dexron III correct?
NOT full syn ATF either but standard Dexron`III?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Drifting

I am pleased to report that new o-rings seemed to completely fix the problem. I am not sure which one was the culprit though I suspect it was the upper. I am unsure why I did not just do this the second time in, but it seems the only thing that my D2 needs is an owner that pays a little more attention to the KISS mentality. Thanks to all for the help and direction.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Team Owner

Glad all seems well now.
Always remember to KISS.