General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco 2 turns over, but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Disco 2 turns over, but doesn't start

First of all-- there is very little chance that your injectors are clogged, and causing the no-start condition. On rare ocassions, there will be one injector that is "sticking" and causing a rough running condition. This can often be cleared up by running a strong injection cleaner through the system. "Blowing through" the system is not possible as the injectors are opened by a electrical pulse to un-seat the pintle. Pressure alone will not open the injectors. If you suspect lack of fuel pressure being the cause of your no-start, the best approach is to fit a pressure gage to the system, turn the key to the on position, and see what the gage says.

My suspicion is that you have either a bad fuel pump, or a failed camshaft sensor.

regards,
Geoman

Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
Still trying to figure it out.
Do you have any thoughts of the irony of the last time I drove it, I filled a really low gas tank?
Normally, I can get 19-20 gallons in it, but this time, 22.5.
The next morning it would not start.
Could this just be a coincedence?
Thanks,
Kevin

Old 11-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Kevin,

Never saw a response from you about checking for ignition spark. To answer your question about coincidence ---there is a possibility that you had crud on the bottom of the tank, and then this deposited itself on the sock filter in the tank. That is why I told you to perform a fuel injection pressure test with a gage.

regards,
Geoman

Old 11-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Overlanding

Thanks again.
Finally, today, got a spark plug out. Will check after dark and let you know status.
No guage and hoping not to tow.
Thanks, Kevin

Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Overlanding

OK. We have spark, for sure.
The Rover has sat for one week now, so the battery died. However, while using cables, we cranked to at least see spark. Then, I put my ear against the underside of the fuel tank and had the wife turn it to on position. No "whirring" sound, unless it is so faint I can't make it out. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks,
Kevin

Old 11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like the fuel pump. Sooner or later most of us have had to replace ours. Check out my site at www.eurotekapg.com for a good price, or call me and I'll see what we can do to get you back up and running.

regards,
Geoman

925-335-2669

Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 AM
3rd Gear

wierd, sounds like my problem too, but without the hazards. My 97 Disco was running perfectly a few days ago, i may have ran out of gas and was on a downhill grade. Now after putting gas in it it just turns over and over without ever catching..
Im going to get a fuel pressure gage, and will listen for the fuel pump as well. i tried putting starter fluid in the fuel rail but it still wont start.. aNY IDEAS? Is there something special u have to do after the Discos run outa gas? I tried the fuel shutoff reset too.
THANKS

BriaN

Old 12-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: geoman

Then pull one spark plug-- re-attach the spark plug wire, and lay the plug on the exhaust manifold (threaded section of the plug contacting the manifold). Then with someone cranking the engine over --look at the spark plug tip for evidence of a spark. This won't work in sunlight, so hopefully your vehicle is in the garage.
Slightly easier is to use a spare/new plug and just pull the lead off a plug that is still in the engine - added benefit is you're not cranking with one cylinder at zero compression.

Cheers,

Old 12-11-2006, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Not Sure if this Mater has been resolved yet!! I have a similar issue with my Disco 2 V8 here in the Uk, it will turn over just fine but won't fire. normally if i remove the fuel pump relay in the engine bay and refit it it will start. Although i my case there are no warning lights on the dashboard.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Drifting

This sounds exactly like what happened with my '90 RR a long time ago and it was the inertia (aka fuel cutoff) switch. This switch is supposed to cut power to the fuel pump in case of an accident and also, when triggered, activates the hazard lights automatically. BTW, this automatic activation feature among many other features can be turned off with testbook or other diagnostic system like Rovacom.

Check the 10 Amp fuse #13. I believe page 88 in your owners manual has a diagram of the switch and its location under the hood. It has a round top, is about 1-1/2 inches in diameter and 3 inches long, with a plug on the bottom. It is attached in the engine bay to the main bulkhead directly in front of the right hand seat. You push the diaphragm on top to reset the switch. You may need to check voltage in and out. If fuse #13 is good you should get current to the switch, and if the switch is closed (normal) you should get voltage out. If this is in order, then it is probably the fuel pump itself, and you should climb under and poke your head up near the top of the gas tank, and with someone else turning the key 'on' but not 'start' you should hear a mechanical hum of the fuel pump running. No noise=bad pump.

Hope this helps.

Greg Haugen

'90RR 300Tdi Jeeves
'99RR 4.0 Winston
'00D2 not yet named