General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco II revs before moving - transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II revs before moving - transmission slipping

Hello Everyone,

I'm new around here and hoping from some insight. I've got a 2004 Land Rover Discovery II that I'm trying to fix.

The truck runs well and it does move, drive and shift (when cold) but the engine revs to about 2,000 RPM before it moves at all. Feels a little like a snowmobile. After warming up, it would rev up even more and move a bit, but wouldn't really drive like it did when it was cold.

I ran the codes on it, and it gave me:

P0741 - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance or Stuck Off
P0734 - Gear 4 incorrect ratio
P0733 - Gear 3 incorrect ratio
P0462 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Low Input

I've done a ton of searching around various forums and google, and found lots of info, especially on the P0741 code, but nobody that seems to report these same symptoms.

Where should I start in terms of repairs? Fluids, Battery, Clutch Solenoid?

Thanks, and any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

Old 11-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Just my backyard mechanic advice, but I'd take a look at the condition of the fluid. If it is dark or smells burned, you got problems. A good place to start is to get teh fluid changed. The jury is still out on the 'Power flush' debate. some say it mixes up all the crud laying in the pan and makes it worse, some say it gets all the crud out.

On my Expedition, if I didn't change the fluid every 35,000 miles, the torque converter would start to vibrate instead of locking up. changing the fluid would fix that in less than 100 miles. They told me trans needed rebuilding at 60K miles. I ran it to 320K miles before it finally quit working.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally got around to draining the fluid. It definitely looks brown/black and smells funky. Not sure if "burned" is the way I'd describe it, but it's definitely got a smell to it. Any ideas what this means?

Also, it appears that the transmission has been leaking, and when I drained it, I only got about 1 quart of fluid out. It seems like I should have gotten a lot more than this. Any thoughts?

I'll probably give a fluid change a shot and see what happens with clean and full fluid. If this doesn't work, what might my next step be?

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to try a little 'Transmission Fix' additive as it might buy you a little time before needing a rebuild. If the fluid came out and looked like coffee, you got problems. Being low on fluid surely did not make things any better. All you can do is put in fresh fluid, and give it a try. Keep in mind that there is still fluid in the torque converter and cooler that doesn't drain out so you might have to run it for a bit and change it again.