General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco II Service engine soon, m & s lights, not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:33 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disco II Service engine soon, m & s lights, not starting...

Hello and thank you in advance! Any help is appreciated as I live in the north where there aren't as many rovers or mechanics that are interested in working on them! I am also new to the world of LR and this is my first. Trying to be exact; gal here that is not mechanic but have tried to educate myself as much as possible.

I have a 2000 LR Discovery II. Last night returning home from work (vehicle was fine) I shut it down. Started back up again to change the C to F in the heating system. Chugged about 4 times (hard turn over) then started. Sounded tired. (Limp mode?) Immediately then the service engine soon light, M & S light (flashing) were on. I shut it down. Jumped on here to research. Prayed.

This morning, after what I read here on the forums, I checked the battery leads and they were loose. We tightened them. Tried starting- nothing at all. We cut the leads and put on brand new ones, tight! Gave it a try....turning over but not starting...So, that's something?

The gentlman that helped thinks it is the security system going into lock down. (I have no fob, was going to take of that this week) I am not so sure after all I have read. Since it responded (albeit slightly) to the new leads, couldn't it be battery, electrical related? (Manual says these two lights flashing is electrical fault with the automatic gearbox?)

What would I like from you kind folks? Any feed back: prior experience. I'd rather tow it to a foreign place here in town (costly mechanics) and have them plug it into a proper computer first before making a trip to the cities. As that same gentlman thinks I should tow it to the dealership for the security system. (About 3 hours away) Which he could be right?

Thank you again, please excuse my slight knowledge but I am receptive to what you all have to tell me.

Last edited by dandelion; 10-18-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: P.S...new battery
Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have the battery checked and the ALT. it have to put out at least 13.5 volts, then have all the ground connection check. The fact that you have to keep changing you hvac control fro F-C tell me you are losing power or a connection some where

The following users liked this post:
dandelion (10-27-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 AM
4wd High

Thank you for that drowssap- it is a new battery but anything is possible.

And- I was going to change the C to the F because I had just learned how. Before this, I had no issues with the electrical or any other starve warnings or issues. Everything works really great.

Thank you! I'll keep posted when we figure this out...

Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

OK then; charge the battery up all the way very important, re install it in the truck and see what the alternator is putting out under load, it should be at least 13.5 under load.
any autoparts store should be able to do that for you free. if the battery and alternator check out good 13.5-14.5 volts then you have to try the hard stuff.

About 80% of the time its a battery, alternator or ground connection to the frame, the other 20% will drive you crazy.

dandelion (10-27-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dandelion
Thank you for that drowssap- it is a new battery but anything is possible.

And- I was going to change the C to the F because I had just learned how. Before this, I had no issues with the electrical or any other starve warnings or issues. Everything works really great.

Thank you! I'll keep posted when we figure this out...

What helped me solve that problem was a new xyz switch and battery! My battery was very low and I noticed that where the xyz switch is located water drains.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:49 AM
4wd High

Thanks for the folks that chimed in! Have to update you All!

I brought my Rover in to a local mechanic- apparently the computer was not giving them any codes. So they traced the problem to the crank shaft position sensor. Replaced! Fixed! I am thrilled, but mostly because I researched here on the forums and wrote down what I thought could be the problem at one point: crank shaft position sensor!

So I just want to say, for anyone reading this, these forums are a great way to learn. I hope folks can keep using them and finishing a thread to help out folks like me.

And mcabrea3 so glad it was a quick fix, right?

Drowns sap, thanks again. The battery was only a few days old. But I sure appreciate you checking in. And yes, the 20% could drive you bonkers.

See you next time!

drowssap (10-26-2015)