General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco II transmission started leaking while in sport mode at 130kph

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II transmission started leaking while in sport mode at 130kph

Hi All
I could use some help to figure out what has happened. I was on the hyw in my 03 Disco travelling at about 130kph in sport mode and saw smoke in the rear view. I slowed down to 60 took it out of sport mode and the smoke diminished. I was only a few minutes from home so drove home, no funny noises or issues with the tranny. I looked under the car and saw tranny fluid all over the cross member and down the drivers side frame members. It looked as if it spurted out of somewhere under pressure and splattered everything. Any ideas where this leak may have originated from? Any techniques to locate a tranny leak without having to drop it out straight away?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Nelson

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would do. First of all check all the fluid levels, or at least engine and transmission. Wash the mess. With the car clean, start the engine again and look for the leak. If it is not leaking and the oil levels are good, and like you said, no funny noises, then take for a short drive and check underneath again for the leak. By the way, I don't think the leak has anything to do with the sport mode. Do not discard that the oil could be from the transfer case. That needs to be checked next.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What were you doing driving in S Mode at 130 KPH, that is not what it is for in the first place.
Second, driving it in Sport Mode did not cause the leak.
That being said, how mechanical are you, do you know how to check the fluid level and when was it last serviced?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Default S Mode

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What were you doing driving in S Mode at 130 KPH, that is not what it is for in the first place.
What is the S mode for?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

from the owners manual:

‘Sport’ mode
With ‘Sport’ mode selected, the gearbox is
more responsive to accelerator pedal
movement - downshifts occur earlier and
upshifts are delayed to make optimum use of
the engine's power while accelerating. Select
‘Sport’ when increased acceleration is required,
or when negotiating long inclines or twisting
roads. Note that driving in ‘Sport’ mode may
increase fuel consumption.

So at 80 miles per hour, I think the "S" may stand for a variety of descriptors besides "Sport"... like Soon 2 B @ stealership.

However, leak could be spray from a fitting headed toward the tranny cooler, red fluid sprayed well over a large area.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Buzz. Mine is DI and I don't have a switch for the S mode, I keep it there with my lead foot. On one of my other cars (listed below) the S is the normal mode and the other is Economy mode. Never go there.
But I don't want to steal this thread, let's hear about the leak!

Last edited by leadfoot; 01-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Second, driving it in Sport Mode did not cause the leak.
That being said, how mechanical are you, do you know how to check the fluid level and when was it last serviced?
Mike
the vehicle was last serviced 2 months ago. Fluid levels were all good. i had the tranny fluid changed 6 months ago less than 10,000 km on fluid since then. I know how to check the level. Will do so in the morning and let you know. Seems like a large amount of red fluid not leak from steering box etc. originates from just front of cross member somewhere. I was in sport mode on the Hyw to get some pasing power of a narrow two lane part didn't think of putting it back into regular mode once I hit the 4 lane freeway.
Looks like spray on some parts but liklely becuase of wind /speed. Any fittings in particuler or seals I should concentrate on?

Cheers
Nelson

Old 01-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Heres a layout of the cooling system. Notice the separate small radiator, with a plug hanging out, which is the tranny cooler, between the main radiator and the AC condenser. Oil cooler on the top, if so equipped. Tranny cooler on the bottom, has line each side, plus a sensor. These would be the most forward place a transmission fluid leak could begin. It is not unheard of to have a pin hole leak, a nicked line, or an O ring that went.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow 1.PDF (679.1 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Buzz, I will check it out and report back

Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

We all wish we had more power, but also realize we are driving boat anchor with 188 to 220 horse power. They are not designed for that sort of driving. Make sure you are running 91 plus octane, run 40 pounds of air in all 4 tires, good plugs and new 8 mm silicone wires may help a little.

Quick Reply: Disco II transmission started leaking while in sport mode at 130kph