General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco II transmission started leaking while in sport mode at 130kph

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Well I checked the transmission level it is fine started it up and ran it a little moved through the gears to get fluid all through. Stopped removed plug and had a small amount trickle out fluid is where it needs to be. No signs of a leak from the cooling pipes etc and they are not wet. The most wet area is from the back right corner of the sump near one of the u bolts. This is weird because there is not tranny fluid leak with the car just sitting there. It is as if the fluid spurted out under pressure and then stopped. Looks like around a half litre of fluid came out but can not tell from the level it seems fine. I am a bit stumped on this one. With that much tranny fluid escaping and coating the underside of the vehicle and burning on the exhaust you would think the level would be down significantly but that does not seem to be the case.
Any ideas??

Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago, my brother's RR got the transmission oil replaced, it got over filled, which he did not know until we drove at high speed for about an hour on the highway. We saw smoke coming from the hood. The whole firewall was covered in transmission oil, but it was clear that it came from the measuring stick pipe. We measured and it was still overfilled. No damage was done.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 AM
5th Gear

Hi Leadfoot
the landrover disco 2003 I have does not have a dip stick for the tranny. It is a sealed transmission the level needs to be checked via the plug on the front face above the sump. So no way for the fluid to escape unless something was leaking, so far nothing it evident. I had the car completely power washed underneath up on a jack to get all of the fluid off and try to see where the leak could be so far nothig. weird or what?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Exclamation 2004 leaking tranmission fluid bad...

Hi there!! We just got an 04 that was in bad shape..... I replace the rear diff bcz the differential pin went and put a hole on the back diff cover.. So i took the rover for a spin and notice a mayor leak between the transfer and transmission so I decide to replace that seal... I drop the transfer box and replace those two seals TRANSFER AND TRANSMISSION for NEW seals!!! I put everything back and take the rover for a spin one more time, and the leak still there.... So im writing you guys to see if theres any other place that maybe is in between those two that may be causing that problem??? This is an 04 disco with 105k