General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

discovery cranks sputers, but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:51 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool discovery cranks sputers, but wont start

I own a 96 disco that started and drove ok 2 days ago but now it sputers on first crank as if only 3 cly were at work but after that it just keeps turning over without starting, the check engine light is on and fuel pump pressure looks ok I have no acess to dianostic tools in my part of Nigeria and no Land rover dealership within 500 miles of here, you are my only hope.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Does it have a distributor style ignition, or does it use coil packs?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How do you know the fuel pressure is OK? When did you last change the fuel filter?
You are really going to need to find a way to get the codes read if you want this fixed without throwing lots of parts at it.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sir.

REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

First, I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction. This is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and "Top Secret". You have been recommended by an associate who assured me in confidence of your ability and reliability to prosecute a pending business transaction of great magnitude, requiring maximum confidence.

We are top officials of the Federal Government Contracts Review panel who are interested in the importation of goods into our country with funds which are presently confined in XXX. In order to commence this business, we solicit your assistance to enable us to transfer into your account, the said trapped funds.

The following represents the source of the funds. During the last regime here in XXX, the Government officials set up companies and awarded themselves contracts which were grossly over invoiced in various ministries which informed the setting up of the Contract Review Panel by the present Military Government to advice on the aforementioned. We have identified a lot of inflated contract sums which are presently floating in the Central Bank of XXX ready for payment, amongst which is the said sum of US$31,320,000 (Thirty One Million, Three-Hundred and Twenty Thousand United States Dollars) that we solicit your assistance for the transfer. As we are unable to manage the transfer all by ourselves by virtue of our position as civil servants and members of tis Panel, I have therefore been delegated as a matter of trust by my colleagues on the Panel to solicit for an overseas partner into whose account we would transfer the said sum.

We have agreed to share the money thus:

1. 25% for the Account Owner (you)
2. 65% for us (The Officials)
3. 10% to be used in settling all expenses (our end and your end). Incidental to the realization of this transaction.

It is from the 65% that we wish to commence the importation business. Please note that this transaction is 100% safe and we hope to conclude the transaction in at most 10 banking days from : 234-30-408550 and 234-90-408674, the date of the receipt of the following information from you by Fax through your company name and address, your bankers name and your Tel/Fax: number, bearing in mind the festivities (Christmas & New Year season) we are in.

As a token of our appreciation to you, we shall make available to you at less than market price as much Land Rover repair advice as you need
The above information from you will enable us write letters of claim and job description respectively enabling us use your Company Name and Account details to apply for payment. We are looking forward to doing this business with you and solicit your confidentiality in this transaction. Please acknowledge the receipt of this letter using the above Tel/Fax numbers. I will bring you into the complete picture of this pending project when I have heard from you.

Yours Faithfully,

The Real Mike G...

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 07-01-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by discovery in nigeria
I own a 96 disco that started and drove ok 2 days ago but now it sputers on first crank as if only 3 cly were at work but after that it just keeps turning over without starting, the check engine light is on and fuel pump pressure looks ok I have no acess to dianostic tools in my part of Nigeria and no Land rover dealership within 500 miles of here, you are my only hope.
Two things you need to do.
1-turn the key all the way on but do NOT try and start the engine.
Then on the right hand side of the engine there is a tire valve, that is on the fuel rail (assuming you have a V8 petrol), press it with the tip of a screw driver, does fuel squirt you in the face or dribble onto the engine?
2-remove one of the spark plugs and reattach the lead, lay it on the exhaust manifold, have a friend crank the engine over, does it spark?

Please report back.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

and be sure no blown fuses, all sensors plugged in firmly

Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jafir
Does it have a distributor style ignition, or does it use coil packs?
yes it has a distributor style ignition

Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Sir.

REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

First, I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction. This is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and "Top Secret". You have been recommended by an associate who assured me in confidence of your ability and reliability to prosecute a pending business transaction of great magnitude, requiring maximum confidence.

We are top officials of the Federal Government Contracts Review panel who are interested in the importation of goods into our country with funds which are presently confined in XXX. In order to commence this business, we solicit your assistance to enable us to transfer into your account, the said trapped funds.

The following represents the source of the funds. During the last regime here in XXX, the Government officials set up companies and awarded themselves contracts which were grossly over invoiced in various ministries which informed the setting up of the Contract Review Panel by the present Military Government to advice on the aforementioned. We have identified a lot of inflated contract sums which are presently floating in the Central Bank of XXX ready for payment, amongst which is the said sum of US$31,320,000 (Thirty One Million, Three-Hundred and Twenty Thousand United States Dollars) that we solicit your assistance for the transfer. As we are unable to manage the transfer all by ourselves by virtue of our position as civil servants and members of tis Panel, I have therefore been delegated as a matter of trust by my colleagues on the Panel to solicit for an overseas partner into whose account we would transfer the said sum.

We have agreed to share the money thus:

1. 25% for the Account Owner (you)
2. 65% for us (The Officials)
3. 10% to be used in settling all expenses (our end and your end). Incidental to the realization of this transaction.

It is from the 65% that we wish to commence the importation business. Please note that this transaction is 100% safe and we hope to conclude the transaction in at most 10 banking days from : 234-30-408550 and 234-90-408674, the date of the receipt of the following information from you by Fax through your company name and address, your bankers name and your Tel/Fax: number, bearing in mind the festivities (Christmas & New Year season) we are in.

As a token of our appreciation to you, we shall make available to you at less than market price as much Land Rover repair advice as you need
The above information from you will enable us write letters of claim and job description respectively enabling us use your Company Name and Account details to apply for payment. We are looking forward to doing this business with you and solicit your confidentiality in this transaction. Please acknowledge the receipt of this letter using the above Tel/Fax numbers. I will bring you into the complete picture of this pending project when I have heard from you.

Yours Faithfully,

The Real Mike G...
sounds like you are a friend to some of my brothers, maybe you can first help me start my disco, thanx

Old 07-02-2012, 05:50 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
Two things you need to do.
1-turn the key all the way on but do NOT try and start the engine.
Then on the right hand side of the engine there is a tire valve, that is on the fuel rail (assuming you have a V8 petrol), press it with the tip of a screw driver, does fuel squirt you in the face or dribble onto the engine?
2-remove one of the spark plugs and reattach the lead, lay it on the exhaust manifold, have a friend crank the engine over, does it spark?

Please report back.
Fuel squirts with reasonable force,and yes the spark plug does spark when it is cranked over.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

How does the distributor cap and rotor look?

Quick Reply: discovery cranks sputers, but wont start