General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Discovery series one problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery series one problems

I have a 1999 disco one with 108,000 miles. Need help with possible rough running issues. Former history of vehicle is unknown. I have owned 6-8 months and cannot figure out what ails it. There is a "dead" spot in throttle from about 2000 -2300 rpm. Runs ok after downshift and at higher rpms. Have noticed terrible fuel mileage (7-8 mpg).

Thus far, have replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, maf sensor, two o2 sensors, throttle position sensor. Still throws code saying - failed to switch to rich - bank a, and excessive emissions. Check engine lite only recently came on - ran rough before without setting check engine lite.

Have checked thoroughly for vacuum leaks, sensor leads (knock, crank position, etc.). (Seems to really run very lean - has buried temp gauge twice intermittently). Fuel pressure checks out as strong and responsive once revs build. Any suggestions on what I might be overlooking??

Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That sounds like a bad TPS.
Did you buy anew one or used?
Using a live OBDII scanner and the engine off you can read the TPS values and see for sure if it is working correctly.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

and at minimum it won't be 0%, mine is like 9%

Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Overlanding

i bought a new tps, but it was not from land rover. ill have to look to find paperwork on where it came from. what should values look like - i do not have a shop manual.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Overlanding

i do have access to a live obdII scan tool - i just have not had time to download the land rover specific date to it, or read the directions. a friend loaned it to me. he had it hooked to rover while driving and i think i remember him saying that he did note numeric values from tps - i just cannot remember what the were. one specific thing he said that i thought odd was that timing advanced to almost 40 degrees when coming under load. and it is intermittent problem - we are wondering if it is a bad ecm/ecu, or bad connection somewhere in harness. it is a frustrating trouble shooting problem thus far

Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In a 1999 the timing is controlled by the ECU independently for each cylinder, so you can have eight different advance settings, all at the same time.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

sooner or later you'll probably have to do this anyway...so eliminate a possibility now by unhooking the battery and removing the ECU...put it on a clean workspace and remove the cover(s) ....to make sure that it's DRY and clean inside.....water has a way of getting in there and causing all kinds of trouble ( dry it out and reseal it )....its happened to many of us here..it doesnt take long to check..and best of all , its a cheap fix / insurance...good luck

Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Overlanding

thanks for all your recommendations to date!! finally located engine ecu - read somewhere it was inside vehicle, but later found it outside in engine compartment under window washer reservoir. the ecu/ecm looks to be a replacement (used) as it has numbers painted on it as i commonly see on used parts from salvage yards. Thinking i may have an ecu/ecm problem, i inquired with an internet ecu rebuilder (aes), who informed me that they charge $525 to refurbish my unit. however, they indicated that if this ecu/ecu was not vin matched to my truck, it may exhibit similar problems to what i am having. as i understand, the only way to match this vin to my truck is to take the unit installed in the truck to land rover. I am going to read the vin from the obd scan tool and assume that if it matches the vin plates on vehicles it is set properly, or unlocked.

i am also assuming that if it was not matched to vehicle vin when installed that the truck might indeed run, but could be exhibiting the problems i am seeing?

any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes a bad/unmatched ECU can exhibit run problems.
It could also have water inside it.
Remove it, open it, dry it, seal it with silicone, put it back.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Overlanding

removed ecu - inside looks good-no burned or visibly damaged areas. it was dry. i tried pulling vin from vehicle with obd2 scan tool, but it informs me that it is not a supported function to look at vin with scan tool. so, my question is, do i have to now go to land rover to have them check to see if ecu has been matched to vin of vehicle? or do i just need a fancier scan tool. it reads as if there is no way to read it - i don't know if it is vehicle related or scan tool related. also, now have new error code popping up - p0340. scanner says: "camshaft position sensor a circuit (bank 1 or single circuit). that is the first i have seen of that one. also showing P1316.

previously, i had codes p1137, and p1316. this is first time for p0340. if ecu is not "set" for vehicle can i even trust the error or check engine codes??

Quick Reply: Discovery series one problems