General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Discovery U joint & drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
if you have a discovery 2 then yes you need to replace or rebuild the front driveshaft.

Have it rebuilt at a local drive line shop for $200 including parts or buy a replacement from Tom Woods ($350).

After your new or rebuilt drive shaft is in make sure to grease each zerk fitting at every oil change or after off-roading or making a water crossing. Losing the drive shaft can be an expensive problem if it damages the transfer case or transmission on its way out.

It could also be the rear rotoflex rubber coupling. You can crawl under the truck and see if it is cracked it might need replacement.

if you have a discovery 1 and you're experiencing excessive vibration when accelerating, it is most likely the rubber coupling or 'donut' at the end of your driveshaft. You are going to need to rebuild or replace the drive shaft with a standard U-Joint.

Thank you for your response. OMG, I'm learning so much. I will need to look for a reputable drive line shop here in Phoenix. Thank you much. My son's friend may know someone.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pearlorient769
he said it was going to cost $1065.00 for the part & special order x2days.
That's the typical pricing of an OEM front propshaft.

You need to ring up both the dealer and the other mechanic and ask them what specifically is wrong.
Is it one or more of the u-joints are bad?
or
Is is something bad with the actual propshaft.?
This matters because if it's just the u-joints it can be rebuilt. If it's damage in some way to the actual propshaft, it probably can't be rebuilt and you'd want to get a Tom Woods or Great Basin Rovers shaft.

Also, you should quit driving it until it's fixed as if it fails it will in all likely hood destroy your gearbox.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

agreed with tom stop driving it until its fixed or you are going to run the risk of thousands in damage.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
4wd Low
Wink finally fixed!

Hello fellow Disco owners,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your excellent, honest, and straightforward responses. I have learned so much. I finally found ONE mechanic in Tucson (no less) who is an avid British car fan & have been a British car mechanic for over 20 years (in the same shop).

Initially, he looked under the car, inspected the parts, and came to me saying, "The U joing & front drive shafts aren't broken". "No, they're not messed up". But I insisted that this supposedly was a finding, and reported how the car was driving. So, he took it for a test drive. He returned to me later saying, "Two points for you. You know how it drives. You know what it feels like". Long story short. He said one the bearings wore out. He changed the U joints for me & rebuilt the driveshafts. He also gave my Disco a lookover to suggest a maintenance schedule w/ price quotes on certain planned interventions. He also put a clamp on one of the radiator hoses (which I will have fixed at one of the maintenance appointments). All in all, he charged me $500.43 parts, labor, tax, brief diagnostic exam. I thought that was pretty good. And with all of your help: hilltoppersx, antichrist, skatelove303, I knew I was at least in the ballpark.

Thank you, fellow Disco owners.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Default New Disco Owner in AZ

What brand of U joints is best to use, I am not an avid off roader, but i do use it to go mountain biking and camping which takes me off road, but nothing death defying.

I own a 2004 Disco II SE and it is bone stock with 100K miles on the Truck and about 40K on the new motor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 AM
4wd Low
Default FightOnUSC 79

hello there. let me see what brand was put on my Disco. it is not a Land Rover part, however, it is the next best thing. at the moment, the brand name escapes me, but i'll get back to you....

my disco has 100K+ miles as well. i found a great mechanic who specializes in British cars (LR, Jags, etc...) i'm quite pleased with their work & they didn't break my bank with their prices, unlike the dealership.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 PM
4wd Low

Hello FightOnUSC 79,
sorry for the delayed feddback. i am looking at my invoice. there is no brand name on the Ujoints, but it looks much like the ones pictured in earlier emails from either hilltoppersx, skatelove or antichrist. if you are not able to view it, i'll see how i can forward it to you.

for what it's worth, here is the name of the repair shop i took my car to. unfortunately, there is now only one land rover dealership & service dept in the Valley. and it's Land Rover North Scottsdale. although they retained some service managers from my previous dealership and i have been taking my care there for service since 2004, i recently switched to or outsourced services to Falconworks in Tucson. i didn't get a good feeling from the current service manager (not my usual one...he left) who was kindda sketchy & gave me more like a "used care salesman" pitch. i was told, since they have to sell their inventory, they minimize their service or overestimate their quotes on a service, so that people are compelled to trade in their current car to a new one. well, you probly already know that......

Falconworks Quality Land Rover 5603 S. Palo Verde Rd Tucson 85706 520 294 3572. Owner/mechanic's name is Alan. good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 PM
4wd Low

[IMG]http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/rover_driver/RoverParts/Drivetrain/1310-1300.jpg

[/IMG]http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/rover_driver/RoverParts/Drivetrain/1310-1300.jpg

uuhhh, try those links....they're one & the same. ciao.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FightOnUSC79
What brand of U joints is best to use, I am not an avid off roader, but i do use it to go mountain biking and camping which takes me off road, but nothing death defying.
Read this entire thread plus the links.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302

Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by pearlorient769
hello there. let me see what brand was put on my Disco. it is not a Land Rover part, however, it is the next best thing. at the moment, the brand name escapes me, but i'll get back to you....

my disco has 100K+ miles as well. i found a great mechanic who specializes in British cars (LR, Jags, etc...) i'm quite pleased with their work & they didn't break my bank with their prices, unlike the dealership.
hi there USC, click on this link for the website to Rovers North. it's a source for LR parts.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2...uid-quart.aspx

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/default.aspx

http://www.roverparts.com/Nxt/search...very+Series+II This website is from AtlanticBritish which makes parts for LR's too, and less expensive than original LR parts.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Discovery U joint & drive shaft