General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driving just died

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving just died

*****UPDATE******

So here it goes, it all came down to a bad alternator that turned into a bad ecu, that turned into bad sensors. I disconnected the alternator, and replaced the ecu and the truck ran... it ran like crap, but it would stay running. Then I replaces sensors one by one. Until finally, the turtle came to life in a way that I never knew it could. Happy, peppy, and still a tank. So thank you guys for atleast responding to my issues. It was definately not for the faint of heart to take this issue on.

Ok, I joined the forum a while ago and have been trying every search function I can solve my issue. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is gong on. Here is my issue and I hope someone can help me out. Driving down the road going to work turtle was running as good as she always has (1996 d1, auto tranny) came to a stoplight and dies. Not the first time this has ever happened. Normally check the relays,in the past it was the fuel pump relay, swap it then I'm good to go. This time however was different. No swapping could get the turtle to fire. No power to the pump, no spark. Call aaa. Get her home and start the troubleshooting. This is not a new concept for me I am a military trained avionics mechanic. Moving forward I reset the tip over switch,test and repair every relay, check all connections to the pump. I finally get power to the pump. Now on to the no spark, test and confirm no spark via plug and multiple coil. Turns out to be ckp sensor. Replaced it reinstalled it as per rave but I it only had 1 bolt holding it to the engine( noticed a small wear mark on the sensor itself). Next crank the turtle is running smooth as silk(smoothest running v8 ever). Next day drive to work no problems,on the way home I start to notice a bit of a stumble. Then get home and boom... No spark again. Looked at the maf, dirty. Cleaned it. Let it dry and nothing. Thought may be it was the immobilizer, cleared it using the door lock method, nothing. Then I took the new ckp sensor out, same wear mark in the sensor. I am out a week of troubleshooting and now at a point of "what the f@&$do I do now?" I mean could it be a bent flex plate ring? Can someone please help me out. Thanks in advance

Last edited by mooni; 09-11-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Overlanding

update, reluctor plate had bent teeth. Repaired and now it dies when the tps is plugged in. Unplugged runs at high idle and rich. Plug it in and it does. Any attempt to bypass the truck dies. Also the engine will not rev.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mooni
update, reluctor plate had bent teeth. Repaired and now it dies when the tps is plugged in. Unplugged runs at high idle and rich. Plug it in and it does. Any attempt to bypass the truck dies. Also the engine will not rev.
Sheesh mooni! I'm posting just to commiserate and keep you on top of the list. I have a D2, which is a whole other set of problems. I thought D1's never quit. I wish I could help.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I responded to your original post, how about keeping it in the same place so everyone can follow what's done and not done.......eh.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I responded to your original post, how about keeping it in the same place so everyone can follow what's done and not done.......eh.
I appreciate that, however, I realized that I posted the original post it n the introduction section and did not seem to be getting any responses. So I posted in the proper tech help section.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy

So with the reluctor ring fixed, your CPS is reading crank revs. That was the initial problem. Now when the TPS sensor is hooked up it stop and otherwise it doesn't know how much gas to throw in the cylinders and runs rich.

I'm lobbing from Disco II land here since you're not getting responses so consider me a dumb sounding board, but if the CPS is working (and I assume the reluctor only goes on one way and wow hats off to you for fixing something ON the crank) then assuming the whole truck didn't go to CRAP on one fine day, then how about the MAF? Did you say you cleaned it? They shatter very easily. The CPS, TPS, and MAF all work together, don't they?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:16 AM
Overlanding

It could be maf. If it is the air flow,would it register on a scanner? Or would it read 0

Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Camel Trophy

On a scanner the MAF should show fluctuating values but I couldn't guess what D1 values would show. On the Bosch system a bad MAF causes lots of issues, many of which don't directly point to the MAF. When I had MAF issues the only way I figured it out was by swapping a buddy's in for a few minutes.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Overlanding

BTT for an update