General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

dropping a fuel tank

Old 05-17-2006, 01:43 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropping a fuel tank

Hello, I recently bought a Rover with many problems that I was unaware of. Most should be fairly easy to fix (Fuse box, air intake replacements) but I have one ominous problem that I haven't dealt with before, dropping the fuel tank so I can reach the sender. I'm not sure how difficult in reality it is, but it just sounds like a bundle of trouble. Is this possible to do on a SUV like this or is the sender reachable without dropping the tank?

Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: dropping a fuel tank

What year and model?
What sort of problems are you having with the sender?
While you are doing the fuel thing, buy a new fuel filter and replace it, I'll bet it is way past do and is a cause of many problems.
Most Rovers have a access port under the carpet in the cargo area that you can use to get to the fuel pump so you shouldn't have to drop the tank unless you find some surprises on the bottom of the tank like water and dirt.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 1995 Range Rover 4.0SE and yea, it has a ton of minor probs such as the air suspension, fuse box, mass air intake is broken, and apparently it has some unseen front end damage causing fast wear on the front left tire.
As far as the sender problem goes; the fuel gage always reads empty on it, I checked the gage itself and it came out clean. I had a mechanic, who is a friend of mine and works on most British cars, take a look and confirmed that it was the sender that was causing this particular problem. I didn't realize that there was an access port in the cargo area so that may make things a thousand times easier. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. If you have any more suggestions let me know! Thanks!

Old 05-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: willb285

It is a 1995 Range Rover 4.0SE and yea, it has a ton of minor probs such as the air suspension, fuse box, mass air intake is broken, and apparently it has some unseen front end damage causing fast wear on the front left tire.
As far as the sender problem goes; the fuel gage always reads empty on it, I checked the gage itself and it came out clean. I had a mechanic, who is a friend of mine and works on most British cars, take a look and confirmed that it was the sender that was causing this particular problem. I didn't realize that there was an access port in the cargo area so that may make things a thousand times easier. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. If you have any more suggestions let me know! Thanks!
OUCH,
Yes you have a few problems, hate to hear that and do hope they get resolved half easily.
You might check with Atlantic British or Rover Connection on the web and see about a new pump price, sounds like that may be where this is going if you can't repair yours.
Good luck,
Mike