General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'Dumkopf"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Dumkopf"

In Afrikaans, <south african dutch language>,
it means dumbass ..
..that is the question ?

Ok, here is my spiel,
-first vehicle was a Jeep YJ/Wrangler 1991, 4.0L, shift on the fly, McGyver'esque edition.

-moved onto ricer japanese coupe, that couldn't handle N.American snow. And longed for a YJ/Jeep Army History type winter beater.. within my price range.
Never would have considered a mint 2000 Discovery series II till I saw a few in the ads.

Most ran 4k - 6k.

Managed to snaggle e a mint 'looking' <drives well from a laymans point of view>, 2000 Disco II.

Paid 1800 for it, vs the going rate of 4000 to 600k.

294,000 kms <shame on me possibly?? based on exterior, interior, and et al.?> . and closed on the deal.
- ! had read heard that they were good till 400 k+ , if well maintained, and took a chance on this gudlooking one.

<Gold in color> fwiw.

For 1800k, got a well maintained exterior, with new tires, new Catalytic converter, new O2 sensors x2, distribution cap wires etc. <and more, which the previous owner did describe in his Ad, and the further details of which I cant recall at this time.)

Suffice to say, said 'sexy.4x4.beast// failed to past my Canadian Safety inspection today, <it did pass its emissionstest tho>,
and,
i feel like a doof, for willing to pay 3200 to get the remaining sh*t straightened out/repaired. In order to make Safety ..a 2ndary certificate required by Canadian dmv.

My only saving grace in my head is that: "Safety first! <even though I would only be using this **** in winter. &not offroading as much say, as i did my Jeep wrangler.> But !

i don't want error codes that throw ' ABS broken!, Traction control too! + lack of this and that electrical! like reear wipers, and headlights on high beam ' compromising me and my future passengers future (winter) safety, especially when i consider, u cant put a price on a good post-safety pass, mechanical-repair investment.

Heres my pause: the ballpark tek quote was of 2k, without even running a quantitative analysis.... and that went to 3.5 k after a bit .of further analysis. And then it ran back to 3.2 k after my 'buddy'., from the adjacent automotive body store, "Haggled" , said friendly-neighbour, mechanic.

I paid half of said bill today. <and am hurting, poor>

Did I get ripped ?

Thanks and much regards!
U

Last edited by U =); 08-06-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

What codes, and what do they plan to do about them?

Part of the challenge of Rover ownership is how much you are willing to do yourself before opening checkbook for an indy shop (or a second mortgage for the stealership). Many forum members enjoy the private time with their machines, coaxing them back to health. And you will find complete tech guides available for download, and no end to opinions or answers on current and previous posts.

So, I would always recomend having a go at it yourself for things that can be fixed at home. Sounds like you have a number of issues, which might be able to be dealt with one at a time. But time for family, release from other assigned duties by she-who-must-be-obeyed, a place to work and leave vehicle out of service while you wait for parts, and purchase of certain tools are also part of the equation. In the best situation, you have a detached garage that is far enough from the house that seldom used words from your vocabulary will not be heard.

That said, business has to be run like a business; or they won't stay in business. Shops have to make profit so they will be there next time you need them. Techs have to be paid, and if they are not getting enough, they will switch jobs for a $10 a week raise. And top quality shops have learned to be thorough and not try to skimp on a job, to prevent "go backs" or law suits. It is always a good idea to get quotes from multiple sources if possible for larger work. And the pre-purchase inspection is also a good idea, not just a five minute test drive. Here are some shop prices paid by another Canadian for Discovery repair (copied from a recent post):

Recent services:
- 2007 installed ARB bar on front ($2000)
- June 19, 2008 - Recondition and resurface both heads, replace both leaking head gaskets and all related gaskets, replace front timing chain, gears and gaskets, remove and reseal oil pan gasket ($3,746)
- October 7, 2008 – replaced both leaking oil cooler lines ($419.15)
- November 7, 2008 – Mount and rebalance 4 new tires, replace defective starter, replace rear brakes including bearing service and calipar replacement. ($2504.64)
- June 10, 2010 – replaced front brakes ($1,346.14)
- November 2, 2011 – replaced starter with brand new starter ($631.87)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-05-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Sir, for your most welcome reply.

Your experienced reply is/was quite welcome at this juncture and tim. I *truly* appreciate the details (and cost reports) that you included.
And the honest opinion, about responsible Land Rover ownership ..

FWiW, I went to see said Shop owners today , and made them swear on their word that they weren't ripping me off.

Based on your quoted repairs, i can attempt to believe from a <poor mans> , .. from ann objective point of view and perspective such as yours , that Their quote wasnt too off course.

And based on their word, verbatim, earlier today, they said that they "could have <well> charged me more."
<as i previously mentioned. I did have neighbourly mechanic friend of theirs, haggle them down a bit, from the original 3500 quote, to 3200>. However keep in mind, my hesitation from the original post, came from their pre ODB2? scanner, quoteof 2k.

Granted, Land Rover ownership is not w/o its cost factors.
Lets hope to pray (that peeps like me, without the spare garage empty space, and said gearhead abilities that need be - (regardless of owning a Rave CD) ..might take refuge in knowing that I got a good deal...status post haggling, and most importantly, will hope to receive a well executed , and safe-car job, on a Rover, by a good Euro mechanic.
Who hopefully can make said Rover, last, unto its untold lifespan, as many african n ozzie Rovers, mite concur.

All else aside, as a good man. I told the mechanic today. that i took his word on it. (and your words, make me appreciate that he might well have been within the ballpark).
and if He did me wrong, I guess. Well... Its his conscience he has to answer to.

Last edited by U =); 08-06-2011 at 05:11 AM.