General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Identification & Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Identification & Door

Hi there,

So my neighbor has decided to GIVE me his 2001 Discovery. A shade tree mechanic diagnosed bad head gaskets, the symptom, no power etc... also confirmed no hydro lock.

My mechanic, not shade tree wants me to find out what engine is in the car prior to me committing to something big here.

Any hints out there on how to figure this out? VIN maybe?

Also - the read door. Its not stuck shut like so many have posted here. But it opens stiffly. I couldn't help but notice the metal bar at the bottom of the door. Totally rusted. There must be a sticky on this site about this mechanism no?

Tx in advance!

Garrett

Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There are 2 different "engines" for the DII, they are actually the exact same engine just different emissions systems.
Here is how you find out...Landrover Discovery - Product Instructions for Landrover Parts
They both use the same headgaskets, the only difference will be the spark plug temp range.
As for the cargo door, the door stay needs to be lubed every 6 months at least, use silicon spray to free it up and then use bike chain lube.
Open it all the way, spray all along the door stay channel, then close the door, open, close, lube...until it starts to move freely.
Also using the silicon spray pop the Land Rover emblem off of the door handle and spray and work the handle on the cargo door.
Spray the latch too, do this to all moving parts, all door hinges, latches, hood cable and latch, door locks...if it moves it needs to be lubed.
Silicon spray will not attract dirt, this needs to be done every 6 month, more often if you live on a dirt road or where there is lots of road salt and grime.