General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Exhaust steam

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust steam

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading it for some time and been searching for the some clues to my 99 D2 problem but can't see quite the same symptoms.
Forgive me if I've missed a previous posting as I know Head Gaskets are a common problem and had many postings already...

I've had my 99 4.0 Discovery II for about 10 months without issues then it blew a coolant hose wide open (one of the double hoses to the HVAC) so first guess was high pressure in the system from a blown head gasket.

However, the hose was clearly old and soft and once replaced I refilled the system for confirmation I ran the engine with the header tank cap off.
No fountain of coolant indicating a blown HG and no further sign of excessive pressure.
All seemed well so I put it down to a rotten hose.

A few days later another hose blew in a similar way (large hose to thermostat) so I replaced all the hoses, thermostat, header tank cap and back-flushed the rad and heater matrix.
Again no fountain or bubbles and no water in the oil.

It runs fine at all engine speeds. Temperature is normal but now I'm getting occasional clouds of steam from the exhaust at idle after it's warmed up so I've stopped driving it until I know what's going on.

I've had a few blown head gaskets in my time and all blew coolant out of the header tank or rad with the cap off.

Am I on the wrong track here?
How can coolant flow against high combustion pressures to enter the cylinders?
If it's entering the cylinders it has to be drawn in by low pressure or vacuum at intake but where?
My only guess is a crack in a head between the water way and an intake port.

I'll probably change the head gaskets and machine the heads anyway but I'd like a better idea of likely issues before starting.
Is there anything else I should check or replace?

Also, what are the symptoms of a slipped liner?

Any advice will greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Colin

Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a blown head gasket.
As the coolant gets sucked into the cylinders it gets burned off thus the whiter smoke (steam)