General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Mist . . . so serious

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 09:19 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Fuel Mist . . . so serious

Hi All,
Have been lurking for years, so thank you all - but suddenly I'm in need of rapid opinions.
I have a mist of fuel rising from the engine compartment. Obviously that stoppped me in my tracks, but I can't identify just where it is coming from.
It seems to be centered on LHS (between fuse box and engine fuel injectors) but may be rising up from further down below the fuse box.
The engine runs smoothly, and power no problem. No unusual sounds, just enough pale mist smelling strongly of kerosine (probably diesel!) and fine enough to be dangerous.

I'm at the side of the road, no facilities except a 'good' set of tools and time - since we're going nowhere soon !
I've been thinking there's split or leak in the pressurised fuel injection lines or an injector. Its hard to see anything much at the moment, so initially can I ask if you good people can direct me to any past entries that are similar. My searches have turned up nothing quite like this - I know its my rubbish search skills, there must be loads of information I can read.

My 2006 Discovery III (lets call her Billy) has been running brilliantly since I bought her 3 years ago, so so we took off travelling around a year ago and got to Greece before getting locked down, etc.
Billy is approaching 100,000 and dispite me changing the transmission oil, I've just had to have a reconditioned transmission changed in. That was only 200 miles ago. I used an outfit in Athens, who were quick, professional and expensive.
I would love to think the work they did didn't cause this fuel problem, but I did find an oily rag left under the hood just where the oily steam was rising. Who knows, perhaps there is another rag that has caused this, but I suspect not.

Anyway, i hope someone has an initial opinion on what my next steps should be. I may be facing a change out of injectors/fuel line/pump; or maybe a rocker cover . . . I'm at that stage, so any help would be fabulous.

Thanks in antici . . . pation

Paull