General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas Mileage with a rack and lift.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage with a rack and lift.

Hey Guys,

Just a general question. What is your gas mileage with a larger lift and a huge rack? I have just installed a 4.5 inch lift on my D1 and have been trudging around with this huge beast up top, and my gas mileage is horrendous suddenly. As in, 50 miles for 50 bucks worth of gas.

So, what I am trying to get at, is do I have an issue with my truck, or do these really effect gas mileage that bad!?!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

somethings wrong, are you the guy that drove his truck into the lake a few weeks back?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Most people use mpg for mileage rather than mpd.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by antichrist
Most people use mpg for mileage rather than mpd.
What?

And yah, this is the one that went into the lake. It just started getting this horrible of gas mileage this weekend though, after everything new was put onto it, and as far as the lake incident goes, everything from that has been taken care of.

Last edited by greenharoguy; 02-02-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Mudding

These things already get sub 20 mpg when new, adding the extra heft of the lift components and other gear would have an adverse effect on your mileage. Sounds like you're getting low single digits. Is your transfer case shifter in high?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont have a lift or oversized tires, I just added a roof rack and my MPG dropped by 1.
Added a winch bumper and lost another .5mpg because of the lack of the airdam on the OEM bumper.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

@Dragonhead. Yes, my T-case is in high. Double checked that like 3 times today.

@Spike. Well shoot. I guess maybe all my new junk might be effecting it more then I thought it would. I also just put a new winch bumper on as well, plus a pretty thick ladder (not the disco standard rack), and then of course come under armor.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Something is wrong with your disco if your getting that kind of mileage.

My old RRC with 3" of lift 33" tires stock gears, roof rack, winch and winch bumper, and skids got 13 mpg

My Hunter, with 4" of lift 32's, winch bumper, heavy duty rear, sliders, armor and full loaded got 15 mpg.

If your into the single digits something is wrong our you are driving it way to fast or all off road in low range.

How is that rack attached to your Disco by the way?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
If your into the single digits something is wrong our you are driving it way to fast or all off road in low range.

How is that rack attached to your Disco by the way?

Nope, the fastest that I have ever taken it is 70. On the freeway I am mostly doing 60-65 on a good day. (when I even do drive on the freeway, most of the time its right around 45 and I am deffenietly not trying to do any burnouts from the line)

As for the rack, at the moment, and only because I have nowhere else to store it I have it strapped to the factory roof rails. If possible, I would rather not hear all the comments about how stupid that is; because trust me. I know. But, its out of necessity, so just leave it be. I am hopefully going to get some home made feet for it tomorrow, and actually mount it to the gutters. A lot of people have told me to get rid of it in favor of a Disco rack, but I think things have worked out for it to be better for me to just keep this one.

As for the gas mileage, what should I start checking? Its not throwing any codes, and it seems to be driving normally. Although a exhaust manifold leak has sprouted up recently. (I guess I should have mentioned that in the first post). I guess that would be the first place to start looking.

Last edited by greenharoguy; 02-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Rock Crawling

With 2" OME lift and 255/70/16 I'm getting 12mpg highway. Probably have a stuck thermostat, so hoping that will change when I replace it. No rack, though I've got stock crossbars and pads on them.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage with a rack and lift.