General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gasket Line Up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Gasket Line Up?

Worse than ever. After original bolts striped, drilled out to thread 7/16 for the intake. Increased size of bolt hole in gasket. And we still are half a hole off. Note center line rib that should run thru middle of each hole. Lips seals torqued to about 5 pounds (seated).

Checked heads for height milled off, measure B on the chart is 62.5mm, and I am there, so the machine shop did not take off an extra 1/4 inch.

Two pix of current condition, and one pix of what I started with on the 3/8 bolts. Heads were torqued down without valley gasket being used as a template.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Gasket Line Up?-p1130433.jpg   Gasket Line Up?-p1130432.jpg   Gasket Line Up?-p1130379.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
.... Heads were torqued down without valley gasket being used as a template.

Thoughts?
That may be your problem. Did you press down hard on the middle of the valley gasket before tightening end seals? Remember, I had to.
Are both gaskets the same brand? Maybe time to try a different brand.
Good luck. I feel for ya.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Lips seals torqued to about 5 pounds (seated)
Do you mean the end seals? How do the holes look when you tighten them down to the full torque (18 pounds I think)?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yep pressed down. When intake sits on it, a little better, but holes still blocked by gasket. Made one gasket hole egg shaped, and now this. Also appears I have about stripped out rear end (lip) seal bolt. So off to the store for that.

I'm thinking if I make the gasket holes elongated, on just one row of holes, the gasket will be too high. Viewing down hole thru the intake I can see gasket still blocking part of the hole unless enlarged. I am at the limit for the ridge of the gasket that surrounds the holes. Edge of gasket must be on machined surface, there is a limit to how far up it can ride in the valley. Plus the valve covers have to fit on after the intake is secured.

All gaskets Victor Reinz. It is almost like gasket is wider than it should be, or is designed if lip seals were not present. Pix show what happens if lined up on one side. Other side is way off. Or both sides are part off.

Family now on the warpath to get truck done. At this point I have lost all credibility with family and forum members and will have to burn my Rover man card.

Attached Thumbnails Gasket Line Up?-p1130440.jpg   Gasket Line Up?-p1130439.jpg   Gasket Line Up?-p1130438.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Buzz, see if someone has a valley gasket and have them measure from hole to hole (across the gasket along the curve) to see how the dimension compares to yours.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've never run into this. I think I'd loosen the end clamps, push down the center of the inlet gasket and screw in some manifold bolts enough to align the gasket, retighten the end clamps and see how it does. If it looks good, remove the manifold bolts and install the manifold and bolt it up.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

two possibilities
1. how about a couple pieces of bolt rod to hold the gasket & manifold in place while you line everything up.
2. Install one thread insert inside the other so you can go back to stock diameter bolts

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Inserts are probably out, as we are now tapped for 7/16-14 NC, seems like the generic helicoils I had used a fine rather than coarse tap. But I'll see if they fit.

All this will have to wait until tomorrow, I'm off to the salt mine, get back at 1:30AM. Just like most guys, I only work half days, you select the first 12 or the second 12...

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have never liked the fitment of the VR gaskets. Even the factory gaskets sometimes do not line up perfectly.

What brand head gaskets are you using?

Only other thing I see is that your valley clamps appear to be the old style, that are not intended to be re-used. See attached.

Attached Files
Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Complete Victor Reinz set. I think it may have have the end clamps as well, will check.

Quick Reply: Gasket Line Up?