General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting only a P0174 reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

let us know how you make out or if you run into problems

Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will do. on another note, i noticed that my leak may very well be coming from the front axle...is this a job for white shepard? What type of gear oil do you use?

Thx

Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM

use 75W/140 don't use white sherpard, find where the leak is coming from, could be o ring of entire hub that needs to be replaced.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hey have your mechanic look for a broken weld on the cat on that side. Just fixed a 03 with the same codes. Had a slight crack in the exhaust manifold flange.

and look at it when its cold.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Hi, I'm new to the forum, ran across this board while researching the P0174 code my 06 LR3 with 63K miles gave me.

Car gave me the check engine light about 3 months ago, checked the code and got 2 P0174 codes. I ran a can of Sea Foam through the next tank of gas, hoping that maybe a dirty or clogged injector was making things lean, then cleared the code.

The rover ran fine for the next 2 months, then the check engine light returned and gave me the same P0174. I tried another can of injector cleaner through the vehicle, erased the code, but it promptly returned. I also noticed that I was only averaging 11.5 mpg via the vehicle computer. My wife also claimed that one day coming home, the vehicle was very sluggish, i.e. she floored the gas pedal but the car would only drive about 15 mph.

So yesterday I took the rover to the dealer to have it checked out. On the drive to the dealer, mostly freeway, I averaged 19 mpg, and the vehicle ran fine. Their investigation initially found nothing other than a malfunction with the the air suspension ride level control (which has always worked perfectly, even that morning before I took the car in). They then discovered that the vehicle's "software was out of date" and needed to be upgraded. They charged me $227 for 1.5 hours labor and sent me on my way.

Last night, the check engine light returned and again gave me P0174.

Did I get taken for a ride, or does this sound usual? Did I somewhere get a bad tank of gas? The rover runs fine now with no appreciable loss of power, so I'm tempted to just keep driving it.

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
hey have your mechanic look for a broken weld on the cat on that side. Just fixed a 03 with the same codes. Had a slight crack in the exhaust manifold flange.

and look at it when its cold.
he had said earlier in the thread that he had an exhaust leak.

as for sgaard: u went to the stealership with no check engine light? did they run a diagnostic on the computer? do you have en exhaust leak? the reason the MPG is changing is because the code is coming on and off and the computer is making the engine compensate. could be an exhaust leak or the O2 sensor going south.. althogh seems a bit premature.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sgaard
Hi, I'm new to the forum, ran across this board while researching the P0174 code my 06 LR3 with 63K miles gave me.

Car gave me the check engine light about 3 months ago, checked the code and got 2 P0174 codes. I ran a can of Sea Foam through the next tank of gas, hoping that maybe a dirty or clogged injector was making things lean, then cleared the code.

The rover ran fine for the next 2 months, then the check engine light returned and gave me the same P0174. I tried another can of injector cleaner through the vehicle, erased the code, but it promptly returned. I also noticed that I was only averaging 11.5 mpg via the vehicle computer. My wife also claimed that one day coming home, the vehicle was very sluggish, i.e. she floored the gas pedal but the car would only drive about 15 mph.

So yesterday I took the rover to the dealer to have it checked out. On the drive to the dealer, mostly freeway, I averaged 19 mpg, and the vehicle ran fine. Their investigation initially found nothing other than a malfunction with the the air suspension ride level control (which has always worked perfectly, even that morning before I took the car in). They then discovered that the vehicle's "software was out of date" and needed to be upgraded. They charged me $227 for 1.5 hours labor and sent me on my way.

Last night, the check engine light returned and again gave me P0174.

Did I get taken for a ride, or does this sound usual? Did I somewhere get a bad tank of gas? The rover runs fine now with no appreciable loss of power, so I'm tempted to just keep driving it.

Thanks.

promptly go back and tell the dealer you want the diagnosis for free since it didn't fix the problem.

and honestly, 0174 isnt a reprogrammable code. 0173 AND 0170 is. But the 0174 is a physical problem. If you were under warrantee and reprogrammed for that code LR wouldn't pay for the repair because unless the code is there and the vin fits within the range then you can upgrade. If not its automatic rejection. Plus on those if you repgm the ecu you have to repgm the tcm or else it will hesitage in second gear. Same on all the V8 rovers. If you got a V8 its a host of stuff.

And no its not the oxygen sensor.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Mudding

to sum things up: I was getting P0174, 0150, and 1174 codes. I just replaced all 4 o2 sensors last friday and what a difference it made. I'm getting a couple more miles/gallon. Thx to all on this board for the advice.

Ed - while I had it on the rack, i noticed that the leak was in fact coming from the seal around the hub. Is this a tough fix or do you think 75w/140 should take care of it?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC4919G.cfm

the 75/140 is what you need to refill it not to fix the leak

Old 01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Mudding

Is this as simple as draining the hub, removing the bolts and replacing the seal? I've learned that nothing can be that easy on this vehicle. lol.

Quick Reply: Getting only a P0174 reading