General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head Gasket Job

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Job

my 96 disc has been having all the symptoms of a blown head gasket. water fall noise under the dash, recovery tank burping up coolant, radiator hose building pressure, ...sounds to me like a bad head gasket.. (right?)..i bled out the cooling system and still the water fall noise keeps comming back...and the car starts to over heat when i run with the ac on in stop and go traffic..so i did a combustion leak test and there was a sight discoloration..i also did a compression test and looked pretty good averged around 150psi..so the hell with it i went ahead and got a head gasket kit...soo this weekend i will start my journey...i will post pic's and keep you guys informed of my progress...here is a pic of the combustion leak detector test....top is slightly more lighter than bottom

Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Job-cimg0602.jpg  

Last edited by fatlos; 07-08-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
2nd Gear
Default i dont know what is wrong with my LR dis..2003

Originally Posted by fatlos
my 96 disc has been having all the symptoms of a blown head gasket. water fall noise under the dash, recovery tank burping up coolant, radiator hose building pressure, ...sounds to me like a bad head gasket.. (right?)..i bled out the cooling system and still the water fall noise keeps comming back...and the car starts to over heat when i run with the ac on in stop and go traffic..so i did a combustion leak test and there was a sight discoloration..i also did a compression test and looked pretty good averged around 150psi..so the hell with it i went ahead and got a head gasket kit...soo this weekend i will start my journey...i will post pic's and keep you guys informed of my progress...here is a pic of the combustion leak detector test....top is slightly more lighter than bottom
I have just come back from a long journey to see my daughter grad from her Mct`s (Military combat training) Marines.NC. And the car was running well. But yesterday when i sat in the car it started to vibrate and a loud clunking noise from the bottom when i change gears. I came hm looked under the hood and saw i have very little Cooling flued. so i filled it up, checked the oil and everything was fine. but it is still making the noise when i change gears and when i drive it for a bit the sound is coming from the bottom.. I am a female, sorry ladies but i really dont know much about this type of things and i really dont want to get riped off when i bring it in for service. is it the motor gasket. signed shelly

Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 AM
4wd Low
Default Head Gasket Job

ok so we got the gasket kit....were ready to go to work .start of by removing the pully system pwr steering pump, alt ,ac comp.etc..then we move to the intake manifold, vavle covers, rocker arms,etc all good ..now we unbolt the exhaust manifold still all good..now it's time to remove the heads thats where we had are only problem one of the bolts broke (BUMMER!!!)...so we called it quits for the day. the next day i called my brother to help me get the broken bolt out ...the good thing was that the bolt broke with about a quater inch sticking out ...so he shows up with a welder and welds a nut to it and with a little heat and some elbow grease we get the bolt out...so we remove the gaskets one of them looked pretty bad (see pic) soo to make a long story short we changed the gaskets replaced the bolts and replaced a bad rocker arm...get it put back together and everything sounds good no more water fall noise under the dash..and the temp stays right below half now the only is now is fixing a brake problem ...ooh yeah also replaced the fan clutch...so far so good

Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Job-cimg0609.jpg   Head Gasket Job-cimg0606.jpg   Head Gasket Job-cimg0611.jpg   Head Gasket Job-cimg0612.jpg   Head Gasket Job-cimg0614.jpg  

Last edited by fatlos; 07-16-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear
Default Some of this sounds familiar

HI all,

Fatlos head gasket sounds similar to my first post on my Disco overheating that I'm reviewing now. Boy I hope it is not a head gasket.

livebeauty314 - I had a similar noise two years ago when my overflow tank separated and I lost a lot of antifreeze.

My first symptom was a knocking and banging around the transmission under the car near the gear shift. My rover is an auto but the transmission is cooled by the radiator and it's fluid. So I first heard the knocking then later noticed the high temperature on another day and stopped immediately. Towed vehicle home.

I then found the overflow tank on the radiator was leaking at the line in the middle where the tank was formed. Replaced tank and no further problems.

Not sure if the manual transmission is cooled as well. If so the noise could be heat related.

Good luck all,

Ron

98 Disc
Newport News, VA