General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

head gasket woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket woes

I took my '01 DII SE7 to Rover Land in Murray, UT to have a few things looked at (SES light, heavy coolant leak, rough idle) Mike at Rover Land came back and told me it was the head gasket. He had it for a few days and replaced the head gasket. Once it was done, we drove it 10 miles to my in-laws house. When we went to leave a couple hours later, their was a puddle under the engine in the same place as before only this time it appeared to be more oily with coolant mixed in. We drove it home (<5 miles) and it began to overheat just before we got home. There was some steam coming from the head gasket area on the driver side front of the motor. This happened once before right before we brought it in to the shop. It sounds to me like he either didn't check for warping or we got a bad gasket. Could it have been something else besides the head gasket. I'm frustrated and at a loss for what it could be. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally!

I figured I'd post the results from the last weeks investingation.
I brought the DII back to Rover Land and (fortunately?) it was overheating by the time I got there so Mike could see exactly what was going on. There was steam shooting out the DS front of the motor. Once the temp went down, Mike pressure tested the system and found a small leak in the oil pump gasket. (neat little camera with a bendable neck and vid screen made short work of locating it) Once he had that replaced, he noticed the idle was still a little rough. The OBD was telling him there was a vacuum leak, he couldn't find it. He smoked the engine and, once it came up to temp, he say a small wisk of smoke coming from the intake manifold. He had a few in the shop and threw once on for me (at no charge) Now, the old girl runs like a top. No more leaks, no more rough idle. I would HIGHLY recommend Rover Land in Murray, Utah to anyone who needs work done on their rover that might be a little out of their league. I usually go to Great Basin Rovers in Salt Lake and I have always been done right by them as well. I would recommend both shops. Mike at RL knows his stuff (he's been doing it for ~22 years) and Bill and Tom at GBR are a great team full of any and all knowledge you could ever need.