General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hellllp! Coolant leaking from beneath my expansion tank....passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:50 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hellllp! Coolant leaking from beneath my expansion tank....passenger side

I just bought a used 02 land rover disco 2 series 7 a week or so ago....no leaks, had a huge amount of snow here and it ran like a champ, like I knew it would... Felt good about the purchase.. ..went to get oil change which was to include an air filter check.... tech came out said he screwed up and thought he pulled wrong cap and drained atf....they took it to another shop they said the cap wasn't to the atf ( they didn't say what it was to-i will be calling them in the mornin, BTW) and they did go on and check it and it was OK..the transmission fluid that is....so next day, noticed it was leaking coolant... Topped it off and drove ten mules, pulled in driveway and it allllll drained out..WTH???!!!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

First thing I'd be doing is finding out what the first place drained and what fluid they put back in, as well as where they put it. If they thought they drained ATF and therefore filled up with ATF, but put ATF where it wasn't supposed to go, you could end up with serious mechanical damage.

Then try to identify where the coolant leak came from -- burst hose, slipped hose clamp, etc. Possibly something seriously overheated because of improper lubrication and caused the coolant to boil.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh jeez. Sounds like an awfully inexperienced mechanic or garage you took it to. Sorry this happened to you.

I'd be fuming!!! Find out what's going on. Take lots of pics of the damage / scene. Be prepared to raise hell.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

failing recover tank is quite common on d2's

Old 02-24-2016, 05:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 218 Likes on 192 Posts

Air filter check ? , if its dirty just replace it, not rocket science but doesnt sound like they know anything about mechanicals at all.
Nothing complicated about a Rover V8, i'd hate to see them with a TD5.
Coolant tanks split in both D1 and D2 and should be replaced if condition is unknown or even slightly suspect.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed the problem!

Thank u all, but it wasn't their fault after all. I will never again go to Walmart for an oil change for the Rover, though....also, it was my expansion tank, but I applied a sealant and fixed the problem temporarily until I can get a tank... They sent it to a garage nearby that verified that it was NOT ATF that leaked out....he wasn't on duty so he couldn't say what he loosened, however the automotive manager looked it over and a tech who DEFINITELY made me feel he knew his stuff looked it over and the radiator isn't leaking, no visible hose is leaking but if u put your hand under the tank, u get nothing but coolant on your hands