General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP HELP MY RR 4.0 Wont start, alarm goes off and engine disabled appears in screen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:45 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP HELP MY RR 4.0 Wont start, alarm goes off and engine disabled appears in screen.

Big Problem. My 2000 Range Rover 4.0 with 72k had a new battery put in by Range Rover service 4 months ago. All ok until this morning, had'nt started car in a couple of days. Totaly dead, no dash lights no clicking noise. Tried jumpstarting but alarm went off and my remote key clicker wouldnt turn off alarm, then "engine disabled' appeared on dash while trying to jumpstart so it wouldnt allow me to turn on the car while jumpstarting. How do I deactivate the engine disabled thingie? Pressing the buttons on my key remote doesnt deactivate the alarm. Batteries in key changed, no help. Please help or im going to have to have it towed to range rover and that's gonna be EXPENSIVE.
Thanks,
RocJos@aol.com

Old 03-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Winching
Default RE: HELP HELP MY RR 4.0 Wont start, alarm goes off and engine disabled appears in screen.

When the battery goes dead, the remote losses sync. Try putting the key in the door and unlocking that way. What happens ? Also charge up the battery first and retry.

Once you have the battery recharged, you can re-sync the remote. Put the key in the door and press the lock button while turning the key to lock. Hold for A few seconds. The remote should then work. You can also do the same with unlock and hold unlock button for A few seconds.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: HELP HELP MY RR 4.0 Wont start, alarm goes off and engine disabled appears in screen.

Thanks a million Bait, you're advice saved the day. Ive only had this car for a few months and am not aware of how to work out some of the bug's. Was able to get the car started after resyncing the key fob as you advised. Love this car but I have a feeling its going to make a serioius dent into my bank account. Whats up with this check engine light always on and off? Any suggestions ya'll? How do I get the windows and sunroof reset after the battery died? Tried rolling them down and up but Im still getting that message on my screen. Again, many many thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Winching

To reset your windows , run them down and hold for A few seconds. Then continuously run up and hold. The instrument cluster will say window set. For the sunroof, press and hold button for A few seconds after each stop is reached. You will have to partially restart the procedure until display reads sunroof set.