General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help please???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please???

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could help please? (im new to the forum so appologies if this has been asked before) I am asking on behalf of my dad who owns a Landrover discovery 2000 reg - he recently had a flat battery which has been replaced but since then the key fobs are not working? He can unlock the car using the key and it starts perfectly but neither key fob will work. He has replaced the batteries in each and the light on the remote itself flashes - could anyone help?? Does he need the EKA code??

Thanks Becky

Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you should post this in the DII section, you have to do something screw with keys and locks; like on and closed the lock 5 times or something I believe. I'm sure someone from the DII section that has been threw it can help you, luckily i have not.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
4wd High
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Disco 1, but try these I learned from one of the forums:
FOB / ALARM RESETTING:

1st trick:
A). Sit in driver’s seat (ensure hood is closed / all doors & windows are fully closed)
B). DO NOT put key in ignition!
C). Holding FOB next to ignition area, press the LOCKING butting on the FOB 5 times (with about 1-2 seconds between each press) (this is supposed to reset the FOB after new battery is put in the FOB)
D). Now try to unlock vehicle (while sitting in driver’s seat) using the FOB.
E). DO not try to start vehicle - stay in driver’s seat.
F). Press the button on the FOB to LOCK the vehicle doors. (Let the alarm system fully cycle and wait till the lights/markers stop flashing)
G). Now put key in ignition. Try starting the vehicle. It should now start.

If it DOES NOT start: have 2nd person help with 2nd trick.

2nd trick: (mechanic in Germany showed this to me. Concept is to basically labotimize the security system by discharging all residual current in the entire system and resetting the security system)

A). With hood open - remove BOTH negative and positive leads to battery.
B). Sit in driver’s seat, put key in ignition (while other person holds battery leads SEPERATED)
C). Have second person hold both negative and positive leads together. NOT touching actual battery post! Just hold them up in the air.
D). Turn key to actual start position (as if you were trying to start the vehicle)
E). Turn ignition fully off and remove key.
F). Replace leads to battery.
G). Close/secure hood
H). While still sitting in driver’s seat / lock doors with FOB (let security system finish cycle).
I). Now unlock vehicle with FOB
J). Now put key in ignition and attempt to start vehicle. It should start.

Also see the owner’s manual for a third alternative.