General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help Please with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please with coolant

I went to take my girlfriend to her house when i looked down and the red light was above the coolant temp and it wasn't reading. So i pulled over and turned it off to check if everything was ok. And when i go to start it the gauge itgoes all the way to the top then drops down below C, and the red light stays on. I tried leaving just theheat onbut it only blows cool air. I believe my coolant was low because when i went to check it it took a little to get toanormal level. So right now i just left it alone and let it cool sit and cool down by itself. Any help would be greatly appreiated.

Thanks,
Terry

Old 11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Help Please with coolant

Well i caled land rover and they said to drive it around the blocka few times so i did. Still nothing it seems like the thermostat is working., i mean i can pinch the radiator hose even after i drive it. And it started smoking near the bottom of the coolant reservoir. Oh and this is a 2000 Discovery II

Please help!
Terry

Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't drive it any more, get it right into your mechanic.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling

I kinda don't have a mechanic and no way to tow it. LandRover said it may be a thermostat now that i called them again. Its strange since the coolant was low to begin with now just no pressure when i let it run. Another weird thing is when i did drive home from my g/f's house it would shift out of first at about 3500rpm. I'm kind of scared since this my only vehicle. If anyone can help me with this problem i can pay you.

Thanks,
Terry

Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

no heat = no heated coolant through heater core= no coolant in system?
no coolant in reserviour= no coolant in system?
no register of temp guage= no coolant touching sending unit?=no coolant in system?
smoke (steam?) coming from under reserviour?= possible leak under same?

I'm very new to Rovers but perhaps you could try adding some coolant and detect an exterior leak somewhere. ( under reservioir?)
just a suggestion...send no money.
dk

Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry to keep posting back i'm just worried. So when i drove home i had the heat on full blast so there was heat. The coolant is now the same as when i filled up, the only thing that worries me is the pressure in the radiator hose i mean even when its idleing i can still pinch it.

So if anyone lives in or around Denver that could maybe diagnose the problem just tell me i have money.

Thanks,
Terry

p.s. thanks for the suggestions dk

Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Call me and lets work thru this coolant issue before you loose your engine.
303-862-7680
Colorado between 7 am and 8 pm.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll call you around 6pm mike if that will still work for you?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: MyRover01

I went to take my girlfriend to her house when i looked down and the red light was above the coolant temp and it wasn't reading. So i pulled over and turned it off to check if everything was ok. And when i go to start it the gauge itgoes all the way to the top then drops down below C, and the red light stays on. I tried leaving just theheat onbut it only blows cool air. I believe my coolant was low because when i went to check it it took a little to get toanormal level. So right now i just left it alone and let it cool sit and cool down by itself. Any help would be greatly appreiated. Thanks, Terry
Could mean very little. I wouldn't worry just yet. My guess is the steam is from where your coolant is leaking. Check and fix that. Could be a splitting hose (very dangerous), a crack in the rad or simply a loose clamp (have a spare handy)

Now..for the rest...

The sender for the coolant temperature light is at the top of the engine. So is the hose for your heating system. Ergo, if your coolant is bit low, it will not reach the sender or the heating system until the thermostat opens and forces a flow to them. That is why the dealer wanted you to run around the block a few times..to open the thermostat.

Additionally, as some coolant is missing, air has taken its place. Even with the coolant circulating, your coolant light will go on and off and your heat reading will be sporadic as the bubble goes round and round.

Fill the system with the correct (alloy compatible) coolant mixture, not just distilled water. The air will take a few drives to escape, so keep topping it up for a few days. The best brew for you would be a 60-40 mixture of GM longlife (the expensive orange stuff) and distilled water mixed with a bottle of Red Line Water Wetter.

James

Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry for not calling Mike i was bust all night after i posted my last comment. But after changing the coolant the light was still on. Soi thought maybe it still thinks there isn't any coolant. So what i did was unplug the batter for about 30 minutes and put it back on and started, and WHAMMY it fixed the problem. Not only did it fix the coolant issue but a while back i had an engine light so i took to Auto zone and it was the 02 sensors they were bad. But disconnecting the battery made the engine light turn off also. So now i'm getting a noticeable difference in poer and gas mileage. Thank you guys so much for all the help.

Cliff notes:
Changed coolant
Unplugged battery
Put battery back -- Fixed

Thanks,
Terry

Quick Reply: Help Please with coolant