General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help Please with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Help Please with coolant

This did not fix anything, it just turned a light off. You need to make sure your coolant system doesn't have any leaks and is bled properly. If you overheat your engine, you can lose it fast. Keep your eyes glued to the temp sensor until you are sure it isn't getting hot. Also make sure your coolant level is good.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to be working properly i drove it to work today and the needle stayed right in the middle of the H and C and it felt like it had more power and didn't chug through gas.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: MyRover01

I'll call you around 6pm mike if that will still work for you?
Well, you haven't called, you don;t know how to handle the problem and if you don't get someone who knows what they are doing, you are going to have a bid expense coming up.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Sorry for not calling Mike i was bust all night after i posted my last comment. But after changing the coolant the light was still on. Soi thought maybe it still thinks there isn't any coolant. So what i did was unplug the batter for about 30 minutes and put it back on and started, and WHAMMY it fixed the problem. Not only did it fix the coolant issue but a while back i had an engine light so i took to Auto zone and it was the 02 sensors they were bad. But disconnecting the battery made the engine light turn off also. So now i'm getting a noticeable difference in poer and gas mileage. Thank you guys so much for all the help.

Cliff notes:
Changed coolant
Unplugged battery
Put battery back -- Fixed

Thanks,
Terry
Pulling the battery cable doesn't cure anything. When the problem start reappearing, find someone that knows what they are doing.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike is ok to call you sometime today? I will definelty this time i promise.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Ant time till 8 pm Colorado time.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling

It seems to be working properly i drove it to work today and the needle stayed right in the middle of the H and C and it felt like it had more power and didn't chug through gas.
Yes, it is likely as I suggested. You had a little air pocket that was giving you weird sender readings and intermittent heat as the water pump circulated it. You resolved the problem by filling the system and running until the air purged itself. Not an uncommon event or symptoms.

As a precaution and when you get a minute and the car is thoroughly cool, check your coolant level again. If you need some, fill it. Drive the car some more and then check it one more time when cool. If you need to top it off yet again, you probably have a very slow leak or a genteely dying water pump (they dribble from the bottom behind the pulley before the bearing goes).

On the extra power, you may have had the ECU in default mode (aka limp home mode) as the ECU's coolant temperature sender is also at the top of the engine and vulberable to an air bubble). Default mode runs the car EXTREMELY rich. If your ECU is disconnected, it will reset (which means look around and check things with a fresh attitude). If you have cured the problem by topping the coolant up, the default mode will not reappear and the car will run as it should. However, normally, you have to actually disconnect your ECU to reset it.

My guess is that the ECU was simply compensating for a high coolant temp reading it was getting from the air-trapped sensor). A high coolant temperature reading makes the ECU run the car richer.

James