General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! Rear Sunroof out of adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Rear Sunroof out of adjustment.

I have a good suspicion that others here have dealt with a similar problem.....
The rear sunroof on my newly acquired 1997 Disco 1 will not close entirely.
Appears that one track / mechanism is further back than the other. I was able to remove the glass to look at both mechanisms from above.
The right side track assembly is further back than the left side, causing the glass / assembly to bind when attempting to close.
According to the previous owner it was working fine and last time he tried to close it, it bound up.
The motor works fine but with the difference in the track placement the glass is stuck in a partial open position.
Is there anyway to adjust the mechanism? ….and what has caused this?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:59 PM
7th Gear

Sunroof repaired and back to functioning as it should.
Thanks everyone here for all the advice.....

Last edited by bmwhacker; 11-17-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Ha! Glad it worked out for you and sorry this forum doesn't/can't always deliver actionable advice. Still, we'd love to have your contribution about how you fixed the problem so that others can fix their trucks when the time comes.

Eventually you may be back here and find something that will keep your truck on the road. And that is how karma works.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for posting a reply and the "links" to the manuals on your heading. Now I finally have some info.
Not much to be found searching the Internet.

The sunroof mechanism appeared to be dry / suffering from lack of maintenance... probably never lubricated.
The motor seemed to function fine, but glass was crooked / cockeyed.
It was "stuck" in the "vent" position and would only move a couple inches back....visibly looked crooked.
I was able to remove the glass using a small right angle torx bit...
Some folks on a U.K. Land Rover Forum made me aware of the manual crank location so I ran the mechanism out / in a few times without the glass in place. (no glass / no binding).
After a few "trips" the mechanism equaled itself out and was even.
At that point the glass was re-installed but the mechanism still jammed right where it was supposed to drop. (photo)

I simply used a (very) small hammer / long punch and tapped each side of mechanism (on the metal portion)...it slightly moved each time and
eventually overcame the bound location. Mechanism was lubricated with some silicone spray and now works just fine.
Obviously the mechanism must be ok....just suffered from lack of lubrication.
I was told I might have to "time" the motor if I could not get it equalized....2" out of alignment is quite a bit.
Headliner removal looks like a nightmare....didn't particularly want to go there.
Luckily I got off easy. Just had to be methodical and think things through. Not having any books / schematics / data isn't helpful....lol

Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Good to know. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Thanks for that info.

Headliner removal isn't all that hard.

In the future you should look and post in the D1 section of the site. You will get more eyeballs on your post. Another suggestion would be to put what model you have in your signature (where I have the links to the manuals) so that folks know immediately what you have every time (and you don't have to state it all the time).

Finally, take a look in the 'Discovery Series 1 Tech section' found as the top thread in the D1 section. You'll find loads of write-ups that will help you keep your truck in good shape and on the road without spending more than you have to.

The following users liked this post:
bmwhacker (11-25-2018)