General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! Steering Gearbox, Pump, or BOTH????!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Steering Gearbox, Pump, or BOTH????!!!!

I'm a newbie - 03 Discovery with 75K, HUGE play just before a quater turn right andgets "stuck" for a secondjustafterthe play.Took it toLR, they tell me the play and"binding"in the steering was a u-joint in the intermediate shaft. Got the quote, did some research (thanks DiscoMike), ordered one from Atlantic British, went to have it installed (not at the dealer, obviously)and, turns out, my old one is in great shape! Guy tells me it's the Gearbox "for sure" - the pumps not making a sound. Returned the new shaft (ps. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE at AB), Disco's all shut down sitting the driveway because I'm too nervous to drive it, and all I want to do is go play in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question #1: Myth or not? If the gearbox IS bad, will the pump ultimately be damaged too, or vice versa???

#2: How would I know if it was the pump (much cheaper) and not the gearbox (seems like everyone's tryin' to take me for a ride)?

#3: Finally,knowing about how much I'd spend on the gearbox itself (yikes!), how much should I expect to pay to haveitinstalled?

I can't trust ANYONE anymore - AAARRRGGGHHHH! HELP!!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Steering Gearbox, Pump, or BOTH????!!!!

Pump is a hydraulic pump, it'll be damaged by running dry or overheating, that's about it. If your steering box is bad and you're losing hydraulic fluid then it will eventually overheat or go dry and die. If you don't see any leaks at any joints or seals, then it's most likely something internal to the pump itself, make sure to check from the wheel to the box to be sure there isn't play somewhere in there too.

If steering is heavy and unresponsive and hard to move then it's the pump. If it's notchy then it's something in the steering box.

Buy a used steering box from a wrecker, I haven't rebuilt one myself but while it's out there are probably seals to change unless you find a reman. As long as the replacement is rebuilt with new seals and bearings as appropriate it should be as good as new.

I'd get a 3rd opinion as well.