General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP. Thermostat Positioning/Direction with hoses.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:05 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. Thermostat Positioning/Direction with hoses.

I just got a land rover last week. 2001 Discovery 2 Series. We are replacing the thermostat and waterpump because they are no good.

I took the thermostat out, but forgot which direction is was originally in, now I am afraid that I have placed it in reverse. here is a picture of it.
There are two top hoses. As you can see. The on pointing slightly to the top left, is connected to the waterpump, and the one going straight up is going to the top engine. Can someone please help and let me know if i have installed it incorrectly?

Thank You

Old 09-09-2012, 02:58 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have it o. Correctly! Good job! Welcome to the forum:-)
You need to do your fan clutch also. Where is your bleed screw located? If its on your upper radiator hose its highly recommended that you replace it with the updated style that is in the T in-between hoses. Also more important that anything else you need to verify that you have a updated or aftermarket front drive shaft

Last edited by lr2001silver; 09-09-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

When you say the themostat and water pump are no good, might we imagine that your truck was overheating after you purchased it? Many previous owners "dump" these vehicles when chronic overheating begins, and they sometimes mask this problem by pouring in a lot of radiator / head gasket leakz stopz. The vehicle has a temp gauge, but the engine computer drives that display. It keeps needle at the 50% point until overheating starts. Above 50% is very suspect. A digital gauge, like a code scanner (rent from parts store) or an Ultra Gauge ($70) can show temp in digital fashion, and you can be sure other problems are not going on. Like sludged up radiator, head gasket, cracked block, etc. Hope you have no gurgle sounds under dash when done with venting (air --- or exhaust gas in coolant). Here's a coolant layout for you from the factory shop manual, called the RAVE.

Attached Thumbnails HELP. Thermostat Positioning/Direction with hoses.-ultra-gauge.jpg   HELP. Thermostat Positioning/Direction with hoses.-dex-cool-2.jpg   HELP. Thermostat Positioning/Direction with hoses.-p1030593.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow.pdf (724.2 KB, 255 views)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Did you replace the se parts because the truck is overheating, how many miles on it?
You may want to check out my major service sticky at the top of this section for a guide as to what else should be done.
Good luck with the project.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
You have it o. Correctly! Good job! Welcome to the forum:-)
You need to do your fan clutch also. Where is your bleed screw located? If its on your upper radiator hose its highly recommended that you replace it with the updated style that is in the T in-between hoses. Also more important that anything else you need to verify that you have a updated or aftermarket front drive shaft
I will ask my brother in a bit these questions, hes the one working on the vehicle. Ill make sure to ask him, I want this Rover to last me as much as possible.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
When you say the themostat and water pump are no good, might we imagine that your truck was overheating after you purchased it? Many previous owners "dump" these vehicles when chronic overheating begins, and they sometimes mask this problem by pouring in a lot of radiator / head gasket leakz stopz. The vehicle has a temp gauge, but the engine computer drives that display. It keeps needle at the 50% point until overheating starts. Above 50% is very suspect. A digital gauge, like a code scanner (rent from parts store) or an Ultra Gauge ($70) can show temp in digital fashion, and you can be sure other problems are not going on. Like sludged up radiator, head gasket, cracked block, etc. Hope you have no gurgle sounds under dash when done with venting (air --- or exhaust gas in coolant). Here's a coolant layout for you from the factory shop manual, called the RAVE.
I bought the car 1 week ago. 123,000 miles on it. I drove it 650 miles since without problems until yesterday when AC stopped working and i immediately noticed the temp sign go up. I noticed that coolant was slowly building up, there was no circulation now. I was parked at a gas station for an hour, letting it cool down. I then drove the same distance back home and it didn't over heat, stayed at dead middle and AC worked again. I figured it was the thermostat getting stuck. We replaced the thermostat and then the water pump started leaking, a LOT. So I bought a new waterpump and have now replaced it. I have not driven it yet,we finished at 4am last night. The coolant didn't seem to have oil in it so im guessing head gaskets are ok.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You just bought a truck, that if you guess what is wrong will turn it into a boat anchor.
At your mileage, if you still have the factory radiator, it is plugged up and can not be cleaned.
First thing you should do is bleed the system then do a coolant pressure test on the system, may need to do a chemical block trst depending on the pressure test.
In the mean time do not start or drive it.