General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High Temp after high speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High Temp after high speed

1st time owner of a Rover.
Bought it yesterday, did all the idle checks for temperature, drove thru the city for about 30 mins, idle in between for 15 to 20 mins and no signs of temperature.
No whitish smoke, nor smells coming from the exhaust ( more than the usual nasty gas ).
Drove it home ( about 80 miles ), everything was fine even during heavy traffic.
Got to the hwy and cruised @ 60 to 65 mph w/o issues. Then decided to test little more of the beast at went 75mph.
Everything was great until I took the exit, as soon as we got off the hwy temp started to rise, lucky enough there was a walmart by the exit.
Pulled in the parking lot and the temp gauge was in the middle between the center line and the last green line before the red ( so i guess it wasn't that bad ).
Opened the hood the the coolant reservoir was draining coolant and the typical steaming.
Got antifreeze and fill it back up , drove home no issues until now.

I'm scratching my head....Is this the normal "blown head gaskets" that everyone says the Rovers are known for?
Could this be something else?
Thanks for the time, will post pictures a little later.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Is this the normal "blown head gaskets" that everyone says the Rovers are known for?
Could this be something else?
Don't sweat it yet, too early to tell about gaskets and yes could be something else.

You may have simply purchased a vehicle that had an incorrectly serviced cooling system or have a bad reservoir cap and simply started to overheat.

Once it's cold check your level again and bleed the system of air. Run to operating temp and if nothing obvious monitor temps/coolant level often. Look for leaks over the next few days. Head gaskets like to leak externally at the front or rear of the heads. Rear may make to the ground if leaking enough while the front leaks are usually contained by the under belly panel. A bright light and inspection mirror helps looking for seeps/leaks.

Right off you'll find out the temp gauge is not a very good indicator, they don't start moving up until temps are already too high for comfort. There is also a high temp light that's supposed to illum at 250 degrees.

Most of us who care monitor temps realtime using something that plugs into the OBDII connector. Some suggest a dongle & download software to use on phone. I have a dedicated ScanGaugeII that's always there.

If issue persists you can pressure test and check for coolant for gases.

Just my expressed opinions...

Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply,
I ran it again once it cooled down and didn't have that issue again.
I headed the "waterfall" noise by the passenger side that makes me believe that there is air in the system, specially after i just simply refilled the coolant reservoir while the car was off and then ran it for few minutes making sure i was adding coolant.
Wasn't aware about "the bleeding". Will look into it.
Didn't see sings of coolant leaks anywhere while checking before buying.
Just checking: how much does it normally cost to do the head gasket job?
thanks again

Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Many threads and opinions on bleeding are available. From a little experience with my D2 I'll just say do an initial bleed and repeat at least once.

Just checking: how much does it normally cost to do the head gasket job?
Parts cost doing it yourself roughly $150-300 depending upon choices of gasket kit, bolts or studs. Just went through the purchasing process myself.