General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to disable battery alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable battery alarm?

Hi folks,
I'm carrying out a fuel filter change but need to disconnect the negative battery terminal first; the haynes manual states that alarm will sound unless disabled by deactivation code!

Is this true, or is there a way of disabling the battery alarm using my key fob or removing relevant fuse?

Model: Freelander TD4 2004

Cheers

Anthony

Old 07-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Might want to just pull the fuse, start the engine and let it idle till it dies, then switch out the filter, you won't have any fuel pressure issues. Then install the fuse and if it is a diesel bleed the fuel system as directed.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No need to unhook the battery.
They will tell you to unhook the battery to change a tire.
You no NOT want to run a diesel engine out of fuel, you will be in a HUGE world of hurt if you do.
You obviously have a diesel because there is no fuel filter on a Freelander with the petrol engine.
Make sure you fill the new fuel filter with fuel before you put it on, then turn the key to the "RUN" position for 5 sec, turn off, turn back on, do this 5 times and then start the engine and check for leaks.
Run a diesel engine out of fuel and you are now having to bleed the air out of the fuel injectors and fuel rail and the injector pump...basically you will need to have it towed to a shop.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:17 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks Spike, will do. Its a diesel, having problems starting, it turns over for around 6-8 attempts before firing up; was told its most likely the fuel filter as the battery is fine, the engine starts fine on cold start up, and pump seems fine; could it be anything else?

Am looking at getting an AP Filter, 17 quid on amazon, anyone know are they good quality?

Cheers,
Anthony

Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We dont have diesel Rovers here in the US so I cannot say about the quality of that fuel filter.
But I have driven diesels forever.
The fuel filter needs to be changed twice a year or every 10,000 miles, whichever is sooner.
Water will collect in the bottom of it and can get sucked into the engine making for rough run or hard starts.
That is the first place I would start is with the fuel filter, also the quality of the fuel can make a difference on hard starts, excessive black smoke out the tail pipe at start up or under full throttle. (do you park in the same spot every night? Is the pavement black under your tailpipe?)
A weak lift pump (the fuel pump that is inside the fuel tank) can also cause hard starts just like on a petrol engine.
The fuel flows like this, lift pump, fuel filter, injector pump, injectors.
The injector pump creates about 20,000psi of fuel pressure.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Howdy..
Could glow plugs be an issue?
I had a Ford that the glow plugs quit on me and it would be hard to start had to cycle the key and crank and crank... Anyway just a thought
Oops.. just seen that cold start up wasn't a problem... So forget my thoughts..

Last edited by SSchultz; 07-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM
3rd Gear
Default Still slow to start

Spike, I sucessfully changed the diesel filter, charged it five times before starting, heard diesel refill lines, engine started but only after 5 or so engine turns; I've changed oil, oil filter, can hear main pump fine, hear secondary pump (in engine compartment) whiz fine, so whats the problem? Could the ecu be at fault needing a software update? Guess its time ro brinf it to the mercy of a dealer/garage!?

Cheers
Anthony