General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need some help diagnosing the source of my EAS Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help diagnosing the source of my EAS Fault

Hello,

I recently puchased a 1997 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0SE -- this is my first RR. Everything checked out at the mechanic prior to purchase, but now, just a few months later, I have the dreaded EAS Fault. I have spent the past number of days reading everything there is to read about the RR EAS system, including and especially on rangerovers.net (what an awesome site!). I could take it to the dealer and pay $100 (I live in Victoria, BC) to have them diagnose the problem, but I'd rather, if I can, diagnose it myself and put that $100 toward the repair -- which I will do myself. So, if anyone can help me diagnose the source issue...

Since I first bought the vehicle, it takes about 5 minutes and perhaps a mile for the air bags to inflate upon first usage in the morning. I assumed that was normal -- is it, or is it an indication that the compressor was going bad or I had a leak someplace? Also, it has been a bit finicky the past few weeks in terms of leveling itself -- not always in the morning.

Finally, the other day, after inflating slightly but not leveling off, after about 5 minutes of driving I got the 4 blinking lights. I parked to turn off the ignition and let it sit, and when I turned it back on, I got the EAS Fault message and the RR I believe decompressed down to the bump stops (it was a rocking boat movement).

Now, when I turn on the ignition, I hear some clicking, but no pumping or air noise in the valve block compartment. Should I hear something -- like the compressor?

Upon inspection, I see that the two rear bellows are slightly cracked, but seated properly and in apparently good condition otherwise. It appears also that the two front air springs are newer, but unlike the other three, the right front air spring is "collapsed" -- meaning that the rubber bellow is buckled (although it feels as though it's seated onto the piston). Does this mean anything, or could it be that the RF air bag simply deflated MORE than the other three? If all 4 springs are on the bump stops, then why is the RF bellow collapsed/buckled?

So I realize it's difficult to diagnose without seeing it, but based on this information, does anyone have any ideas -- is it the RF air spring, is it the compressor, is it a leak someplace, is it the ECU...? BTW, all of the relays and fuses look good.

I'm happy to switch out the EAS with a coil suspension system, but if it's simply a single air spring or the compressor, then I'd prefer to fix just that and stick with the EAS. The problem is, I don't know what IT is? Might any of you? Cheers and thank you.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you have to clear the eas code first to get the system back up again.

Usually its a set of new bags and orings in the valve block.

but first its the reset.